He's thorough, thoughtful, very knowledgeable, careful to ensure options and risks are clearly understood, and impeccable in following up and through.
It would be hard to surpass the level of service that he has given me.
[He has an] encyclopaedic knowledge of labour and employment law.
Allen Soltan is the Co-Chair of the Canadian Employment and Labour Group, the Canadian Professional Governance and Regulation Group, and the Canadian Education Group.
Between 2012 and 2015, Allen served as the Head of the Firm’s Vancouver Litigation and Dispute Resolution Department.
Allen has been recognized as a leading lawyer in Canada in Administrative and Public Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution, and Employment and Labour Law.
Allen’s practice in employment and labour law includes the representation of management in all aspects of the employment relationship, including counselling and litigation involving statutory claims, common law actions, restrictive covenants, fiduciary duty, termination of employment, confidentiality and related intellectual property issues, privacy, sexual and personal harassment, human rights, executive compensation, organizing activity, collective bargaining, collective agreement administration and arbitration, and interest arbitration of collective agreements. He also regularly advises on the employment and labour issues involved in merger and acquisition transactions.
Allen’s practice in administrative and public law includes advising professional regulatory clients and other public sector institutions on professional regulation and discipline, corporate governance, bylaw and policy development, regulatory compliance, risk management, human rights, and access to information and privacy.
- Provided employment-related advice to TRG Group Benefits and Pensions Inc., a leading employee benefits advisory firm, in its acquisition by US-based Hub International Limited.
Administrative and Public Law
- BCIT (Student Association) v. BCIT, 1999 BCCA 766
- BCIT (Student Association) v. BCIT, 2000 BCCA 62
- BCIT (Student Association) v. BCIT, 2000 BCCA 496, 192 D.L.R. (4th) 122, leave to appeal to SCC dismissed  S.C.C.A. 564 (April 20, 2001)
- BCIT (Student Association) v. BCIT, 2000 BCCA 684
- Day v. Organization of Chartered Professional Accountants of British Columbia, 2018 BCCA 495
- Organization of Chartered Professional Accountants of British Columbia v. Nordine, 2016 BCSC 1283; rev'd Organization of Chartered Professional Accountants of British Columbia v. Nordine, 2017 BCCA 103, leave to appeal to SCC dismissed (August 17, 2017)
Employment and Labour
- Re Andromeda Productions Ltd. – and – International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees and Moving Picture Machine Operators of the United States and Canada, Local 891 (2001), 94 L.A.C. (4th) 405, 2001 CLB 11893 (McPhillips)
- Board of School Trustees of School District No. 46 (Sunshine Coast) – and – Sunshine Coast Teachers’ Association (25 November 1992), Vancouver CA015904 (BCCA)
- Board of School Trustees of District No. 46 (Sunshine Coast) v. Sunshine Coast Teachers’ Association (1997), 36 B.C.L.R. (3d) 237 (CA), leave to appeal to SCC dismissed,  1 S.C.R. vi (note)
- British Columbia Principals’ & Vice-Principals’ Association and British Columbia Public School Employers’ Association (Severing Grievance) No. 2, 2005 BCCA 118, (2005), 40 B.C.L.R. (4th) 19 (CA)
- Mitchell v. Paxton Forest Products Inc., 2002 BCCA 532
- Randhawa v. Pepsi Bottling Group (Canada) Co., 2006 BCCA 273
- Re School District No. 73 (Kamloops/Thompson) – and – Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 3500 (Ault) (2006), 156 L.A.C. (4th) 171, 2006 CLB 13029 (Dorsey)
- Yukon Energy Corporation – and – Public Service Alliance of Canada (unreported, 2013)
- Yukon Energy Corporation – and – Public Service Alliance of Canada (unreported, 2015)
- Yukon Energy Corporation – and – Public Service Alliance of Canada (unreported, 2018)
- Gichuru v. Law Society of British Columbia (No. 2) (Case No. 1645), 2006 BCHRT 201 (+ correction 25 April 2006), (2006), CHRR Doc 06-245
- Gichuru v. Law Society of British Columbia (No. 3) (Case No. 1645), 2006 BCHRT 402, (2006), CHRR Doc 06-542
- Gichuru v. Law Society of British Columbia (Case No. 5564), 2008 BCHRT 215, (2008), CHRR 08-332
- Gichuru v. Law Society of British Columbia (No. 2) (Case No. 5564), 2008 BCHRT 344, (2009), CHRR Doc 08-557
- Gichuru v. Law Society of British Columbia, 2010 BCSC 522, (2010), CHRR 10-1242
- Gichuru v. Law Society of British Columbia, (2010) 297 B.C.A.C. 115, 2010 BCCA 543, (2010) CHRR Doc 10-3557
- Gichuru v. Law Society of British Columbia (No. 6) (Case No. 1645), 2009 BCHRT 360; (2009), CHRR D/305
- Handfield v. North Thompson School District No. 26 (1995), 25 CHRR D/452, (1995) 95 CLLC 145146 (BCHRC)
- LL.M., Columbia Law School, 1990
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1983
- B.Com. (First Class Honours), University of British Columbia, 1980
- Honourary Life Member, BC Principals’ & Vice-Principals’ Association (2022-)
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Administrative and Public Law), 2015-2023; (Alternative Dispute Resolution), 2017-2022
- Chambers Canada (Employment and Labour Law - British Columbia), 2018-2021
- The Legal 500 Canada (Labour and Employment), 2016-2022
- Martindale-Hubbell, Distinguished® Peer Review Rated
Presentation and Seminars
- Moderator, 2021 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Cross-Canada Employment and Labour Law Update
- Speaker, 2019 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Canadian Employment and Labour Law Conference
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Professional Issues Committee, Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch)
- Former Director, Governor General's Canadian Leadership Conference
- Former BC Regional Chair, Governor General Canadian Leadership Conference
- Former Member, Advisory Board, UBC Sauder School of Business
- Former Member, Advisory Board, UBC Law Alumni Magazine
- Former Director, Vancouver Bar Association
- Former Governor and Vice-Chair, Collingwood School
- Editorial Board, Education Law Reporter
- Member, International Bar Association and Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
My latest insights
DLA Piper (Canada) LLP recognized in the 2022 Best Lawyers in Canada guide
25 August 2021 .66 minute read