Leading the way in legal advice for this fast-growing area
While marijuana remains a controlled substance, cannabis-related business proliferates. The global legal marijuana market is valued at USD13.2 billion (2021) and will have an annual growth rate of 25.5% to 2030. For hemp and CBD products, the figures are USD4.9 billion with growth of 21.3%.In this fast-growing market, we’re a pioneer and a thought leader, with multiple legal directory rankings.
We bring commercial insight combined with strategic advice across the cannabis, hemp and CBD supply chain: product development, licensing, distribution, sales, marketing and advertising, and everything in between. Our experience covers business-critical areas such as regulatory compliance, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, class action litigation, and corporate counsel.
“We bring commercial insight combined with strategic advice across the cannabis, hemp and CBD supply chain.”
Our sector specific insights, local market experience, and global presence allow us to address diverse client requirements in this complex area, with a full-service approach and continuity across borders. We advise start-ups, SMEs and large multinationals, including marquee clients, with creative strategies and joined-up legal services.
Our multifaceted, interdisciplinary approach means we can provide a one-stop-shop for the different regulatory, transactional, and litigation matters you may face. We support diverse activities and client needs, including food and beverages, dietary supplements, drugs, devices, tobacco, private equity, and ancillary cannabis service providers.
Awards and recognition
- Avicanna on its expansion globally.
- Acreage Holdings on its USD428 million financing and reverse takeover and CSE listing (CSE: ACRG.U).
- Acreage Holdings on its USD3.4 billion arrangement with Canopy Growth.
- An Australian medicinal cannabis company in relation to its development and construction of a cannabis growing and processing facility.
- A boutique retail chain on its own brand CBD cosmetic line and the legality of its products and their provenance across Italy, UK, Switzerland and France.
- A syndicate of agents led by Canaccord Genuity in connection with:
- Aurora Cannabis’ (TSX: ACB) USD230 million bought deal offering of convertible debentures.
- CannaRoyalty’s USD32.9 million offering of unsecured convertible debentures.
- CannTrust Holdings’ (TSX: TRST) CAD100 million bought deal offering of units.
- Golden Leaf Holdings’ CAD15 million bought deal private placement.
- MedReleaf’s CAD132.5 million bought deal offering of units.
- Canaccord Genuity, in connection with Aurora Cannabis' (TSX: ACB) USD115 million special warrant offering.
- A syndicate of underwriters, led by Canaccord Genuity, in connection with a USD40.3 million bought deal private placement of Supreme Pharmaceuticals Inc.'s (TSXV: FIRE) convertible debentures.
- Charlotte's Web Holdings (CSE: CWEB) on its USD110 million IPO and CSE listing.
- A developer of a medicinal cannabis delivery device in relation to the regulatory requirements of the Australian market, as well as in relation to corporate and tax issues.
- Hanway Associates, the cannabis consultancy business, on the sale of HAPP Holdings Limited to NOBL Group, including the market-leading conference series Cannabis Europa.
- HEXO Corp with its dual listing on the NYSE in addition to its TSX listing.
- Materia Ventures on its expansion plans into Europe.
- Newstrike Brands (TSX-V: HIP) in a share purchase agreement for interest in Neal Brothers Brands Inc. and joint venture agreement.
- PharmaCielo Colombia Holdings on the legal structuring and implementation of its cannabis business in Colombia.
- A producer of medicinal cannabis and cannabis oils on the Australian regulatory regime for cannabis and cannabis products, as part of an international project.
- Trulieve Cannabis (CSE: TRUL) on its CAD65 million private placement of subscription receipts, reverse take-over of Schyan Exploration and CSE listing.
- Defending a CBD company in a putative nationwide consumer class action filed in federal court alleging violations of state consumer protection laws based on the fact that all food, beverage, and nutritional supplements containing CBD are illegal, not proven to be safe, and a fraud and misrepresentation to the consuming public
- Multiple CBD companies regarding interstate and cross-border shipment and exchange of CBD prototypes and samples, and use of CBD products in trade shows, including risk mitigation assessment
- Supporting CBD companies seeking loans and financing as well as merchant payment support and tax filings in the context of the legal landscape and general education
- Developing supply chain agreements, including manufacturing, co-manufacturing, distribution, retail, testing, and representations and warranties involving CBD products
- Obtaining global patent protection for clients using CBD and cannabinoids for therapeutic treatments (eg, cancer)
- Obtaining global patent protection for a client’s new methods for extracting CBD from hemp
- Attending hearings and committee meetings soliciting testimony and questions relating to current actions undertaken to permit the submission of hemp based CBD products for approval to FDA
- Communication with USDA staffers regarding the Farm Bill, interpretation of Final Guidance as relating to key issues of testing, import, and certification as well as developing guidance
- Defending a CBD company in a putative class action filed in federal court alleging violations of a state’s consumer protection laws; it claims the company misstated the amount of THC in the CBD product (as zero THC), which allegedly resulted in the plaintiff failing a drug test and losing his job
News and insights
FDA and FTC jointly crack down on Internet distributors of Delta-8 THC cannabis edibles,...
10 July 2023 .3 minute read