Jan De BeulLead Lawyer
Jan De Beul is a dispute resolution and insolvency lawyer with a particular focus on the financial services, transportation and aviation, construction and real estate, and consumer goods sectors.
Jan advise multinationals and SMEs confronted with all sorts of disputes. While some disputes necessarily end in the court room, the majority can and should, in the interest of the client and its business, be resolved outside.
Jan's dispute resolution work involves advising and representing clients before the Belgian courts and before arbitral tribunals in a wide array of disputes. Jan for instance regularly handles all sorts of corporate and commercial disputes (for instance relating to the sale of shares, directors' liability, distribution agreements or product liability), often acts for real estate developers, investors and contractors on various construction litigations and is also consulted by clients on various other contentious or potentially contentious matters.
Furthermore, he has experience with both single-jurisdiction as well as cross-border disputes. He frequently assists and represents clients regarding the recognition and enforcement of both Belgian and foreign judgments and arbitral awards and has been involved in different asset tracing and recovery matters.
As an insolvency lawyer, Jan acts for creditors, companies in distress, individual company directors, (interested) investors and to both Belgian as foreign insolvency practitioners on all aspects of Belgian insolvency law. Banks also turn to him in relation to distressed debts or for the enforcement of securities. Most of his insolvency work is contentious, which perfectly fits in with and complements his dispute resolution practice.
- Represented the former directors and shareholders of a company in the construction sector against a multi-million-euro claim filed by the new shareholder.
- Enforced a judgment from a US court in Belgium awarding damages for breach of intellectual property rights.
- Acted for a bank in proceedings against the directors of a bankrupt borrower resulting in a four-million-euro judgment in favour of the bank.
- Assisted a UK-based bank on the assignment of a distressed loan.
- Defended the former directors of a bankrupt company in proceedings brought against them by the bank for the loss of the loan by the bank.
- Successfully obtained the recognition and enforcement of a Dutch arbitration award in Belgium.
- King’s College London, Master of Laws, LL.M., 2015
- Ghent University, Master of Laws, 2014
Memberships And Affiliations