Michael heads our Corporate team in Belgium. He practices in the field of corporate law, with a particular focus on cross-border public and private M&A, private equity, corporate venture capital, venture capital and equity capital markets.
His clients include financial institutions, corporates, family offices, multinationals, start-ups and private equity funds. Michael works across sector with a keen interest on technology, energy and industrials.
He has advised on a significant number of acquisitions and divestments. He has particular expertise in structuring complex joint venture schemes.
Michael is a member of various legal associations in Belgium, a frequent speaker at Wolters Kluwer M&D Seminars on M&A, joint ventures and general company law.
- Assisted ArcelorMittal group on a EUR1,2bn capital increase in its joint venture with the Flemish Government to finance the decarbonization of ArcelorMittal Belgium;
- Advised Fluvius System Operator CV on an investment of EUR2bn in a joint venture with Telenet to evolve the hybrid fibre coaxial ("HFC") network infrastructure in Flanders and for the setup of the "data network of the future", including fibre-to-the-home technology;
- Assisted Deme, a global leader in the dredging industry headquartered in Belgium, on the first investment round in Global Sea Resources (GSR) creating a joint venture with Transocean for deep sea mining (through a contribution of assets and liabilities and cash into GSR);
- Assisted Renewi on several innovative joint venture projects;
- Assisted Belfius Bank, a leading Belgian bank, on the sale of its IT division to IBM, the creation of a private portfolio management joint venture with Candriam and its investment in Skipr;
- Advised KBC Group on the sale of Centea and Fidea, the acquisition of UBB, the set-up of We.Trade (a blockchain application co-developed by a consortium of European Banks), the creation of Payconiq (a joint venture between the 5 leading Belgian banks) and the investment in Joyn (together with ING Bank);
- Assisted 777 partners a US private equity fund on its investment in various soccer clubs in Belgium, France and Denmark (Standard liege…);
- Assisted Torqx Capital Partners on the acquisitions of Descroes, Fumico and Ocean Nutrition and the divestment of Intreso;
- Assisted ForFarmers N.V. on the sale of 100% of its shares in ForFarmers Belgium BV to Arvesta;
- Advised Miko Group on the sale of its global plastics division to Paccor;
- Advised the shareholders of Imperbel NV on the sale of the Derbigum group, a Belgian manufacturer specialised in sustainable waterproof roofing for flat roofs, to Kingspan, a global leader in advanced insulation and innovative building solutions.
- KU Leuven, Postgraduate Degree in Corporate Finance, Magna Cum Laude, 2011
- Université Paris 1 - Panthéon - La Sorbonne - LL.M. de droit européen et de droit français, 2005
- Ghent University, Master in Laws, Magna Cum Laude, 2004
- "Michael Heene proved very competent in combining legal, strategic and tactical aspects of the transaction and its negotiation process. I was impressed by the cooperative, non-confrontational approach taken by Michael with the firm representing the buying Party, which enabled us to avoid deadlocks while protecting our core interests." Legal 500, 2023.
- "Working with a seasoned advisor like Michael Heene is a great pleasure. Great understanding of our business and creative mind. His advice has helped us to take our company to the next level." Legal 500, 2022.
- "Michaël Heene: smart, agile approach and super communication skills to convince counterparties and build trust among the principals. Big active contributor in deal closing with international principals in a difficult environment." Legal 500, 2021.
- "Michael Heene is an outstanding lawyer that operates with a rare deal-making attitude. He represents his clients well and with his can-do mentality he quickly gains the trust of all parties involved." Legal 500, 2020.
- Partner at DLA Piper UK LLP, head of Corporate team in Belgium and co-head of the Financial Services M&A group at DLA Piper International, 2019 - present
- From Associate to Managing Associate in a magic circle firm, 2005 - 2019
Memberships And Affiliations