Matthew practises in the area of general corporate/commercial law, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, securities and corporate finance, banking and finance and corporate governance.
Matthew advises clients, from a variety of industries, on asset and share purchase and sale transactions, and equity and debt financings. He works with domestic and international companies in relation to partnerships, joint ventures, reorganizations, and corporate governance matters. Matthew also acts for lenders and borrowers in relation to secured loans, syndicated loans, and acquisition financings. He has acted for issuers and underwriters in connection with public offerings and private placements of securities.
Prior to joining the firm, Matthew worked for several years in one of the largest full-service law firms in Tokyo, Japan, where he assisted Japanese lawyers on cross-border matters and drafting international contracts.
- Acted for a U.S. company in relation to its initial public offering in Canada which included a corporate reorganization, prospectus offering of common shares and a concurrent private placement
- Acted for a Canadian listed company with operations across the country, in various transactions involving purchases and debt financings of commercial real estate
- Acted for an Alberta-based, publicly-traded oil & gas company in respect of an amendment and restatement of a credit facility with a chartered bank
- Acted for a private Alberta company in respect of an asset purchase and concurrent equity and debt financings
- Acted for a publicly-traded technology company in relation to various securities and corporate governance matters, as well as commercial agreements including international distribution agreements
- Acted for an Alberta-based agriculture company in respect of a refinancing
- Advised a publicly-traded oil & gas company in relation to a private placement of senior unsecured notes
- Acted for domestic and international financial institutions in their capacities as lenders and administrative agents in various syndicated loans
- Represented an investment banking firm in its capacity as agent in respect of a public offering of shares of a TSX-V-listed company, by way of a prospectus supplement to a base shelf prospectus
- Acted for Rio Alto Mining Limited in its $1.35 billion sale to Tahoe Resources Inc., resulting in the creation of a new intermediate precious metals producer
- Acted for Predator Midstream Ltd. in its $107 million acquisition by Secure Energy Services Inc.
- Represented TSX-V-listed issuers in respect of private placements, strategic investments, continuous disclosure and other securities law matters
- Acted for Rio Alto Mining Limited in the acquisition of Sulliden Gold Corporation Ltd.
- Acted for a private mutual fund trust in relation to a private placement financing by way of an offering memorandum
- Represented various public and private companies, both domestic and international, in respect of purchase and sale transactions of oil & gas assets in Alberta
- Acted for a capital pool company in respect of a business combination which constituted the company’s qualifying transaction pursuant to the rules of the TSX-V
- LL.M. (Transnational Law), Temple University - Tokyo Campus, 2010
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1995
- B.A. (Hons.), University of Saskatchewan, 1991
- Best Lawyers Canada (Mergers & Acquisitions), 2024
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
My latest insights
DLA Piper Canada advised Highwood Asset Management in key acquisitions for $139 million...
28 September 2023 .1 minute read