Colin Brousson is Co-Chair of Canada’s Restructuring and Insolvency Group.
Colin has an extensive record of representing major stakeholders in corporate restructuring engagements in various industries. He acts for all parties affected by the insolvency process including: debtors, lenders, purchasers, secured and unsecured creditors, and directors, as well as trustees, receivers and monitors.
He is a member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada, an organization that recognizes excellence in the area of insolvency and restructuring. He has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in Canada and is named a leading practitioner in the area of insolvency and restructuring law by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory. Colin has also been ranked by Chambers Global for restructuring and insolvency and by Benchmark Canada, which named him a "litigation star" for insolvency.
Additionally, Colin practises in the area of Indigenous law with a focus on economic development.
- Representing trustees, monitors and receivers in the insolvency proceedings for Choom Holdings, Ardenton Financial, Urthecast, Wiivv Wearables, Coast Industrial, Wild Goose Winery, Gateway Developments, Waterway Houseboats, Sunny Beach Hotels, Tru-North Trucking, Quinsam Coal, Network Intelligence, and Morningstar Golf Course
- Representing debtors in the CCAA proceedings of Canadian Dehua International Mines, Purcell Basin Minerals, and Stanfield Mining Group
- Representing secured creditors, directors, purchasers, investors and/or other interested parties in the insolvency proceedings of Evergreen Terrace, ILTA Grain, Just Energy, EncoreFX, Lydian International, Quest University, Street Quality Entertainment, and Wedgemount Power
- Acting in fraud related recovery matters both for various creditors, including Grant MacEwan University, Chicago Title and for the trustees of Guo Law Corporation, and Hiroshi Morimoto
- Representing the First Nations Financial Management Board
- Representing HSBC, CIBC, RBC, BMO, FCC, CMLS, Wells Fargo, Integris Credit Union, Earlston Mortgage, Sprott Resource and other lenders in various collection matters
- LL.B., University of Victoria, 1995
- B.Sc. (Hons.), University of Victoria, 1992
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law), 2014-2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Insolvency & Financial Restructuring), 2013-2021
- Chambers Global (Restructuring and Insolvency), 2014-2018
- Chambers Canada (Restructuring and Insolvency), 2016-2019
- Legal 500 Canada (Insolvency & Restructuring), 2017-2019, 2022-2023; (Cannabis), 2022-2023
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Canada, 2013-2017
- Lexpert's Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining 2016/2017
- Author, Canadian First Nations and Insolvency Proceedings. How Much Influence? in Janis Sarra and the Honourable Justice Barbara Romaine, eds, Annual Review of Insolvency Law 2016 (Toronto: Carswell, 2017) at 755-762
- Co-author, First Nations and Insolvency in Canada: A Shifting Landscape (2014) 3:1 Journal of the Insolvency Institute of Canada
- Presenter, Effective Climate Governance for Corporate Boards, Canada Climate Law Initiative, British Columbia Real Estate Association Board, February 2022
- Commentator, Accommodating Bankruptcy & Duty to Consult, Annual Review of Insolvency Law, Montreal, Quebec, February 2019
- Presenter, First Nations and Insolvency, IIC Conference 2014 and CAIRP Insolvency & Restructuring Forum, Whistler, BC, August 2015
Colin is strong believer in community service, including pro bono work for Western Canada Society to Access Justice in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver. In addition, he has acted as a director of the following organizations:
- WelTel, an organization that uses cell phone technology to improve the health care of patients in Africa;
- The Western Canadian Paediatric Aids Society, a charitable society that organized camps and recreational activities for children affected by HIV; and
- Basketball B.C., a provincial sports organization, where he co-founded the Steve Nash basketball leagues and was awarded a "Special Merit Award" by Basketball B.C.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association (Insolvency and Aboriginal subsections)
- Examiner for Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy Oral Board Exams
- Co-chair, BC Insolvency Model Order Committee, 2010-2014
- Insolvency Institute of Canada
- Turnaround Management Association
My latest insights
Colin Brousson and Edmond Lamek named Co-Chairs of the Canadian Restructuring group
19 July 2022 .2 minute read