Advising the real estate and construction industries in a new digital era
Technology is quickly optimizing the real estate and construction industries. This is a new era – one that promises more efficient and sustainable practices. This time of enormous opportunity and change calls for an advisor well versed in tech, real estate, construction, IP, and financial services to help you succeed in deploying and leveraging innovation.
Once resistant to technological innovation, the industry is accelerating its adoption of technology. Fueled in part by the shift to remote work, changing housing market dynamics, sustainability, and digitization in mortgage and construction technology, proptech represents a USD50 billion industry.
DLA Piper’s proptech team is at the forefront of providing legal counsel and business support to emerging proptech companies, investors, and developers of innovative real estate technology in areas critical to both their short-term and ongoing success. Our broad range of legal services helps companies grow and adjust to new business challenges and assists them throughout their business lifecycle.
“Whether you are an entrepreneur, an investor, or an established participant in the real estate and construction ecosystem, DLA Piper is well positioned to support all of your proptech needs.”
We help startups get organized and funded, and we assist both growing and established technology companies in obtaining venture capital and other private financing, corporate partnerships, intellectual property and growth strategies, and IPO and M&A exit transactions.
We advise clients in all areas relevant to the proptech sector including data management and security; privacy law; digital transformation strategies and related technology services including blockchain; AI, machine learning and robotics; big data analytics; and the Internet of Things.
Whether you are an entrepreneur, an investor, or an established participant in the real estate and construction ecosystem, DLA Piper is well positioned to support all of your proptech needs.
Awards and recognition
- Accruent, the world’s leading provider of intelligent solutions & cloud-based software for the built environment, in multiple acquisitions and in its USD2 billion sale to Fortive Corporation
- Assignar, a construction operations software platform for heavy construction and industry, as outside general counsel and multiple financings and its flip-up from Australia
- Foresight Group, a construction safety and compliance management system and an underwriter of workers compensation insurance policies, as outside general counsel and in multiple financings
- Brick & Mortar Ventures, a venture fund focused on construction technology, in its investments in Curbio and Trade Hounds
- Briq, a construction fintech platform that digitizes construction financial data, as outside general counsel, in its acquisition of Swipez, and in multiple financings
- Connect Homes, a next-generation pre-fab home builder, as outside general counsel and in multiple financings.
- HomeZada, consumer fintech, mobile and online software for homeowners to manage and digitize their homes, as outside general counsel and in its Series Seed financing
- Ynomia, a platform that enables construction teams to locate materials, information, and team members in real-time, as outside general counsel and in its Series Seed financing and its flip-up from Australia
- Uber as its preferred global real estate legal provider
- WeWork as its primary global real estate advisor and in its investment in early-stage ventures via its Creator Awards program in the UK, Germany, Hong Kong and the Netherlands
- MetaProp NYC, one of the premier real estate technology venture capital funds, as its preferred outside legal counsel in its investments in companies in the proptech ecosystem
- Goldacre Ventures on the creation and implementation of their ‘ReLab’ proptech scale-up accelerator
- Building IQ in an equity raising involving investment from Siemens Financial Services, Aster Capital, Alston and Solvay, Paladin Capital, Exto Partners and the Energy Division of the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization
- Qualcomm in matters concerning its smart cities program and related regulatory advice
- HaulHub Technologies, a provider of integrated cloud-based supply chain solutions to the heavy construction industry, in its USD30 million Series B financing
- Equity Residential in corporate venture investments
- Harrison Street Real Estate in corporate venture investments
- Actuate in its financing round and as general corporate counsel
- BuiltWorlds with its worldwide intellectual property portfolio
- Jabbrrbox as general corporate counsel
- PrintWithMe in its financing rounds and as general corporate counsel
- SpotHero in its M&A activity
- Apartment Jet in its sale to HomeAway
- Softbank Group International in its joint venture with LendLease
- CBRE Group, Inc. in its acquisition of Custom Spaces; in its investment in Stowga; and in its potential investment into a blockchain-based proptech business