Robert J. GruendelPartner
Global Co-Chair, Energy and Natural Resources sector
Chair, US Shipping and Maritime
Chair, US Project Finance sub-practice group
Bob Gruendel serves as Global Co-Chair of DLA Piper's Energy practice and oversees a wide-ranging sector that includes over 100 partners worldwide and covers oil and gas, power, renewables and nuclear. Bob also leads the US-based maritime and shipping practice.
In addition, he is immediate past Co-Chair of the Firm’s Latin American practice, and is licensed as a foreign legal consultant in Brazil by OAB-SP, the bar association of São Paulo.
Bob concentrates his own practice in energy project development, principally in oil and gas, and in related maritime sectors. He has spent considerable time on such projects in Latin America, the Middle East and Asia.
Among his other key areas of practice are transportation infrastructure development and related project finance; government concession agreements in energy, transportation, waste and other sectors; project work in such areas as water, power, petroleum and gas; infrastructure privatization; marine insurance; commodities trading; and pollution.
Bob is a past member of the board of directors of the US Maritime Law Association and past chairman of the board of New York Maritime, Inc. He has written extensively on LNG, port development and energy-related transportation and has gained a reputation with respect to the production, transportation and storage of LNG. He has frequently spoken before professional groups on LNG, oil and gas, port development and shipping matters and Latin America legal developments.
Bob has written extensively on LNG, port development, and energy-related transportation and has gained a reputation with respect to the production, transportation, and storage of LNG. He has frequently spoken before professional groups on LNG, oil & gas, port development and shipping matters.
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law
- B.A., Dartmouth College
- The Legal 500 United States
- 2021 - Recommended, Energy Transactions: Oil and Gas
- 2021 - Recommended, Project Finance – Advice to Sponsor
- 2016-20 - Recommended, Energy Transactions: Oil and Gas
- 2015 - Recommended, Energy Litigation
- 2012 - Recommended, Energy: Renewable/Alternative
- The Legal 500 Latin America
- 2018-21 - Recommended, Latin America: International Firms Projects and Energy
- 2016-17 - Recommended, Latin America: International Firms Corporate M&A
- 2013-18 - Recommended, Latin America: International Firms Projects and Energy
In 2016 and 2017, Latin Lawyer 250 recognized Bob in the areas of energy and project finance.
Bob has been cited in Euromoney's Expert Guides: Shipping & Maritime Lawyers; Expert Guides: Project Finance Lawyers; and Expert Guides: Energy and Environment. Martindale-Hubbell ranks him AV, its highest available ranking.
He is named in Best Lawyers in America in the Shipping category and among the top Energy lawyers in New York by Super Lawyers.
- Co-author, "$1.2B Order Entered Against Petróleos de Venezuela: Q&As for PDVSA and Citgo Commodity Commercial and Trading Counterparties," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law, January 2019
- Moderator, "The LatAm Energy Boom," Latin Lawyer M&A Conference, Mexico City, March 2018
- Chairman, DLA Piper Global Energy Summit
- Moderator, "North American Energy Security – Updates from Canada, Mexico and the US," Institute of the Americas XXIII La Jolla Energy Conference, May 2014
- Co-chair and Speaker, "Business, Canada, US Politics and the Future of Energy," Canadian Corporate Counsel Association National Conference, April 2014
- Speaker and Panel Moderator, "How Do We Finance Energy Projects for the Future?," Aspen Ideas Festival, June 27, 2013
- Speaker, DLA Piper European Energy Forum – Developing Europe's Energy Infrastructure, April 2012
- Chair, 7th Annual Latin America Ship and Offshore Finance Forum, Rio de Janeiro, September 2010
- Moderator, "Considerations for Energy Financing in Peru," Peruvian Energy and Infrastructure Finance Conference, organized by Project Finance magazine, Lima, Peru, September 2010
- Speaker, Panama Maritime Exposition, the International Congress of Maritime Arbitrators, and the International Bunker Industry Symposium
- Interviewee, OnPoint, Environment & Energy Publishing (E&ETV), September 7, 2011
- Interviewee, Platts Energy Week, News Now WUSA 9, August 15, 2010
Memberships And Affiliations
- AIPN (Association of International Petroleum Negotiators)
- American Bar Association, Committee on International Law
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Committee on Admiralty (Chairman, 2000 – 2003)
- Maritime Law Association of the United States: Past Member, Board of Directors (2003 – 2006); Committee on Maritime Legislation
- New York Maritime, Inc., Board of Directors (Chairman, 2003 – 2006)
- Licensed as a foreign consultant in Brazil by OAB-SP, the bar association of São Paulo, Brazil in Latin America
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises LEGO Group in its US$1 billion-plan to build its first factory in the US
5 July 2022 .3 minute read
DLA Piper represents Eneva S.A. in its acquisition of Porto de Sergipe Power Plant
7 June 2022 .3 minute read