Xavier Guzman is a Banking, Finance and Restructuring lawyer. He has in-depth experience on cross-border banking and finance work (including secured lending, leveraged and acquisition finance, energy finance, sports finance, and funds finance), bond issuances and securitisation.
Xavier has created close client relationships aiming at being at the forefront of his clients' needs by thinking innovative. He regularly advises a vast panel of banks and financial institutions, alternative credit providers, asset managers, private equity houses, real estate investment structures, (re)insurance companies, and other international corporates.
Much of the work that he does is the Luxembourg element of complex projects, advising clients on their finance, acquisition and restructuring needs for business activities that span multiple jurisdictions and continents.
He regularly publishes articles and newsflashes thereby providing market insights to clients and players on the changes in legislation, trends and other important events of the Luxembourg legal market.
- Advising Harrison Street in relation to an approximately EUR 200,000,000 financing with Athene Annuity and Life Company and CBRE Loan Services Limited for the acquisition and development of a residential asset, and subsequent fund commitments agreed therein.
- Advising the Carlyle group on the Luxembourg aspects of several real estate external debt financings relating to the acquisition and development of distribution logistics assets located in France, Germany, The Netherlands, Denmark and Finland.
- Advising ING B.V. S.A., a Belgian entity part of the ING banking group, as lender into a EUR 17,560,000 facility agreement, governed by Luxembourg law, granted for the purpose of the re-financing of a loan further to the sale of stakes into a Luxembourg company, owner of a real estate property located in Luxembourg.
- Advising Energy Infrastructure Partners, a leading investor in the energy transition, in the negotiation and implementation of a EUR 195,000,000 financing of its Luxembourg subsidiary with Goldman Sachs Bank USA for, inter alia, the acquisition of a stake of 25% in Repsol Renovables.
- Advising EIG Global Energy Partners, a leading institutional investor to the global energy sector and one of the world’s leading infrastructure investors, on the Luxembourg aspects of a USD 1,735,000,000 facility agreement related to the acquisition of the issued share capital in Aramco Oil Pipelines Company.
- Advising Landesbank Hessen-Thüringen Girozentrale on several debt financing, including a complex combined share and asset deals, and the related senior financing with a total volume of approximately EUR 166,000,000, and a senior financing in the mid three-digit million range relating the acquisition of the landmark Highlight Towers building in Munich.
- Advising the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, one of the leading bank in mobilising private finance for green economies, in the negotiation and implementation of an approximately EUR 250,000,000 financing relating to the acquisition and development of logistic and light industrial facilities pursuant to a Green Finance Framework consistent with ICMA Green Bond Principles.
- Advising Natixis Pfandbriefbank AG on the Luxembourg aspects of the financing relating to the acquisition of a real estate property located in Germany, and the related facility agreement and security documents.
- Advising Lone Star Capital on the due diligence, financing and acquisition of Propertize Bank in the Netherlands including, inter alia, the due diligence, corporate, real estate, finance and restructuring matters pertaining to real estate assets located in 12 jurisdictions and the underlying loans for a total value of EUR5.6 billion (Project Swan).
- Advising Nielsen Bidco US Inc and its Luxembourg subsidiary on (i) the tender offer, the consent solicitation and the change of control offers for senior notes issued by The Nielsen Company (Luxembourg) S.à r.l. and other entities of the group, (ii) around USD 9bn first and second lien financing for the acquisition of the Nielsen group, and (iii) the offering of USD 1.96bn 9.290% senior secured notes due 2029.
- Advising FMS Wertmanagement on the sale of a pan-European portfolio of mortgaged loans for approx. EUR580 million (Project Hieronymus).
- Advising Herbalife Ltd. and its Luxembourg subsidiaries on the refinancing through a USD1.45 billion senior credit facilities.
- Advising an international coatings manufacturer on its corporate and finance restructuring.
- Advising the world’s largest commercial real estate services firm on the EUR124 million external refinancing of a Pan-European real estate portfolio, a EUR30 million bridge loan for future acquisition and a EUR395 million internal financing restructuring.
- Advising Schroder Real Estate on (i) the acquisition of the office building "Victoriastadt Lofts" in Berlin for a joint venture involving Immobilien Europa Direkt, an investment vehicle of Zurich Investment Foundation, and the Finnish pension fund Ilmarinen, and (ii) the bank refinancing.
- Luxembourg Bar School (cours complémentaires), University of Luxembourg, 2008
- Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, Master Degree in International Business Law, 2006
- Xavier was rated in Legal 500 as “Next Generation Partner” (2020-2023) and considered for being “an extraordinarily competent partner in Luxembourg”
- “Xavier Guzman has a very broad knowledge of the industry and the market, is extremely experienced, professional, reliable and responsive and at the same time very pleasant to work with.” Legal 500, 2023
- "Xavier Guzman combines a unique set of great technical and soft skills. His hands-on and pragmatic approach permit clients to get matters completed in a seamless fashion." Legal 500, 2022
- “Xavier Guzman is always proactive and provides valuable input.” Legal 500, 2021
- “Xavier Guzman never lets us down, which is key to being successful in this changing and challenging environment.” Legal 500, 2020
- Xavier was rated in Leaders League as “Recommended”, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Xavier was rated in IFLR1000 as “Notable practitioner”, 2022
- Xavier was rated in IFLR1000 as “Rising star” and considered for being “very responsive”, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Xavier was rated in Legal 500 as “Recommended” and considered for being “professional and responsive”, 2018
- Xavier was considered in Legal 500 as “outstanding at worldwide restructuring projects”, 2017
- Have you considered this for the enforcement of a Luxembourg pledge over shares? This is important… more than ever…, AGEFI 07 February 2023
- Luxembourg Business Register: additional filing formalities for natural persons take effect from 31 March 2022, 08 February 2022
- Lexology Getting The Deal Through – Restructuring & Insolvency, December 2021 and November 2022
- Luxembourg Business Register: Upcoming requirements for individuals – get ready!, 4 November 2021
- Have you considered this for the enforcement of a Luxembourg pledge over shares?, AGEFI,November 2021
- Clarity on financial assistance rules, April 2021
- The new professional payment guarantee – Luxembourg reinforces its legal toolkit (ahead of Brexit), March 2021
- Coronavirus in Luxembourg – extension of the flexibilities with respect to corporate bodies’ meetings, September 2020
- Post-state of crisis flexibilities in Luxembourg, July 2020
- Coronavirus in Luxembourg – An overview of the main measures adopted in the corporate, financial and insurance sectors, April 2020
- Brexit for the insurance sector: No-deal regimes in the UK and Europe, September 2019
- 2017 to date: Partner, DLA Piper, Luxembourg
- 2015-17: Counsel, DLA Piper, Luxembourg
- 2014-15: Senior Legal Counsel, International Insurance Company, Luxembourg
- 2008-14: Senior Associate, International Law Firm, Luxembourg
- 2013 (2 months): Secondment - US Law Firm, New York
- 2007-08: Associate, Magic Circle Law Firm, Luxembourg
- 2006: Associate, French Law Firm, Hong Kong
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Legal Affairs Committee of the Luxembourg Banker’s Association (ABBL)
- Member of the Spanish Chamber of Commerce for Luxembourg and Belgium
- Member of the Association of Banking Lawyers (Association des Juristes de Droit Bancaire) (ALJB) in Luxembourg
My latest insights
Luxembourg Securitisation Symposium: an indispensable tool for growth and capital...
7 March 2023 .4 minute read
DLA Piper launches an Insurance practice in Luxembourg with new hire
20 February 2023 .2 minute read