Peter Manley's practice is in UK and cross-border corporate insolvency, financial restructuring, asset preservation, investigation and recovery. He is highly experienced in advising funders, corporates and other stakeholders in managing and protecting their positions in challenging circumstances of exposure to financial distress.
Peter advises on contingency planning options and strategic and contentious enforcement and complex recoveries work, regularly advising clients in investigating and pursuing asset recovery strategies and antecedent transaction claims. He also provides strategic advice to UK and international commercial clients on operational and legal enhancements to achieve supply / customer chain resilience.
Peter is named as a Key Individual in the 2020 and 2021 Editions of Legal 500 within DLA Piper’s London Corporate Restructuring and Asset Based Lending Practices.
- Advising a leading international asset based lender in appointing administrators over a UK business in hostile circumstances to preserve and maximise recoverable business value for creditors, leading to a full recovery of the secured creditor’s debt and working with the Administrators successfully to recover significant value for the insolvent estate in relation to assets previously divested by former management.
- Advising a UK based finance leasing provider in the enforcement and subsequent structured realisation and multi-million pound recovery of land, renewable energy source and other assets in connection with a manufacturing and agricultural group of companies, a structure which successfully delivered recoveries far in excess of the estimated outcomes through an alternative forced formal insolvency scenario.
- Advising the Special Administrator of the Cyprus Branch of FBME Bank, appointed following a FinCEN notice being issued by the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network of the US Treasury.
- Representing the private bank arm of a UK clearing bank on a series of challenging situations involving contentious asset preservation strategy and implementation.
- Representing the Joint Administrators of NMC Health Plc, a former FTSE 100 healthcare company in administration that has been the subject of a multi-billion USD fraud, and outstanding creditor liabilities in excess of USD6.5 billion
- Advising the Joint Liquidators of Joannou & Paraskevaides (Overseas) Limited, the principal company in a group which operated as one of the largest construction and infrastructure companies in the Middle East, North Africa and Europe, which entered insolvency with estimated liabilities to creditors in excess of USD2 billion.
- Advising a UK airport on the impact of the administration of Monarch Airlines, including with regard to exercise of detention rights under section 88 of the Civil Aviation Act 1982 and in relation to the process implemented by the office-holders for the insolvent airline’s allocated landing slots.
- Representing the UK Government’s Airline Insolvency Review Team in connection with the Airline Insolvency Review undertaking following the collapse of Monarch Airlines.
- Representing several stakeholders including two UK airports and a number of hotel and aviation supply chain / services businesses in relation to the impact of the Thomas Cook insolvency.
- Advising a key transport infrastructure manufacturer on contingency planning preparation and implementation to manage their commercial position in connection with a key supplier insolvency.
Memberships And Affiliations
- The Law Society of England and Wales