Matthias Schemuth has substantial experience in advising sponsors, developers, commercial banks, multilateral lending agencies and export credit agencies in project financings, particularly in the oil and gas, LNG, petrochemical, metal and mining sectors. Matthias also focuses on international banking, structured commodity and trade finance, and asset finance and leasing finance in emerging markets.
- Japan Bank for International Cooperation, Korea Ex-Im Bank, Nippon Export and Investment Insurance and the coordinating lenders in relation to the US$2.8 billion Donggi-Senoro LNG Project in Indonesia. This transaction won a number of awards, including Energy & Resources Deal of the Year (ALB Japan Law Awards 2015), Commended for Finance (Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Asia Pacific 2015) and Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Deal of the Year 2014 (IJGlobal)*
- Daewoo International in the US$900 million project financing for the Shwe Gas project in Myanmar from China Development Bank with K-Sure cover*
- JBIC and the commercial lenders in relation to a US$550 million methanol project in Brunei. This is the first international project financing in Brunei*
- CGNPC in relation to the US$2.6 billion project financing from China Development Bank of the Husab uranium mining project in Namibia*
- ANZ as lead arranger and the participants in connection with a US$288,000,000 B-loan co-financing with the Asian Development Bank for financing of water treatment projects in China for Beijing Enterprises Water Group Limited. This deal was the Project Finance Deal of the Year 2015 by China Law & Practice Awards*
- Petronas and PTT in relation to the project financing of the second and third phases of the Trans Thai-Malaysia Pipeline project. including RM1 billion Sukuk bond, which won Project Finance Magazine's Asia-Pacific Oil and Gas deal of the year 2011*
- Asian Development Bank in connection with the implementation of its trade facilitation programme*
- ANZ Banking Group in connection with a US$105 million receivables financing for Nokia Siemens in relation to a telecom network development for Hutchison Indonesia in East Java*
- ANZ Banking Group in connection with a SINOSURE covered receivables purchase financing for China Cable Corp in relation to the upgrade of 800km of power cable and transmission lines in Bangladesh for the Bangladesh Power Development Board*
- BNPP and Standard Chartered Bank in relation to the secured onshore and offshore financing facilities for V Capital in relation to the acquisition of Central Plaza in Shanghai by China Vanke Co., Ltd. from Carlyle*
*Denotes experience from a previous firm
- Chester College of Law, 1993
- University of Kent at Canterbury Law, 1992
Chambers Asia Pacific (Banking and Finance), 2018
Sources praise (Matthias Schemuth) him for his experience and his commitment to client relationships, with one client saying: "He has great technical knowledge and understands the internal requirements of financial institutions" and "He is someone who brings a lot to the table in terms of ideas and understanding risks".
Nominated as "one of the world's leading practitioners for Project Finance", Who's Who Legal: Project Finance 2017.
My latest insights
DLA Piper continues to expand Asia Banking & Finance practice with strategic partner hire...
5 December 2022 .2 minute read
DLA Piper continues to enhance Asia banking & finance expertise with strategic partner...
2 May 2022 .2 minute read