Michael works in the Litigation and Regulatory team, working on commercial, local government and public law matters. He has appeared in the High Court and assisted in matters before all the senior courts.
He regularly works on a broad range of regulatory issues and disputes for international and domestic clients.
- Assisted as part of the legal team in the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal for Make it 16 v Attorney-General  NZSC 134, a successful application for declarations of inconsistency with the New Zealand Bill of Rights Act.
- Appeared as junior counsel for Quotable Value Ltd in a successful strike out application, obtaining an award of indemnity costs. Lau v Hollis & Scholefield Limited  NZHC 3223.
- Experience assisting global clients with issues arising form the Russian invasion of Ukraine and its interaction with the insurance sector.
- Provision of regulatory advice to global clients on a broad range of New Zealand trade laws, including cannabis-related products and dual-use goods.
- Supported an emergency response under the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act 2002 following New Zealand's August 2022 severe weather events.
- Assisting an international pharmaceutical company on potentially contentious issues concerning clinical trial indemnities.
- Provided advice on a complex lease dispute concerning Māori reserved land.
My latest insights
Everybody needs good neighbours… Supreme Court confirms the measured duty owed to...
31 October 2023 .6 minute read