Valerie LiSenior Associate
Valerie has extensive experience in international arbitration and commercial litigation. She regularly handles disputes covering areas including financial instruments, intellectual property and technology, joint ventures, licensing and distribution, international trade and sale of goods, energy and natural resources and general commercial disputes in the High Court of Hong Kong, and arbitrations seated in jurisdictions including Hong Kong, London and Mainland China, involving various jurisdictions and rules including HKIAC, CIETAC, UNCITRAL Rules, ICC Rules, and LMAA Terms.
Valerie advises and represents clients in all aspects of disputes including asset preservation, anti-suit injunctions, as well as enforcement and setting aside of arbitral awards in various jurisdictions.
Valerie is a solicitor admitted in the High Court of Hong Kong SAR and has spent an extended period of time working in the firm's London office. In 2018, Valerie was accredited as a Tribunal Secretary at the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC).
- Acting for a Hong Kong-listed asset management and investment company in an arbitration at the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) in relation to de-SPAC investment and exercise of put-option in a NASDAQ-listed company.
- Advising and acting on behalf of a leading Israel-based innovative design and technology company in its multimillion-dollar claim for breach of a patent license agreement against a leading Chinese technology company in an HKIAC administered arbitration. Successfully obtained asset preservation orders from the Chinese Court in the enforcement proceedings of the arbitral award.
- Acting for China Meheco Corporation, subsidiary of China Meheco Group, a Shanghai listed company backed by a State-Owned Enterprise in China on its application to challenge the jurisdiction of the Hong Kong Court over international trade disputes against two German incorporated enterprises. Jurisdiction challenge upheld in the Hong Kong Court of Appeal.
- Acting for Saleen Motors in their multibillion-dollar dispute with their joint venture partner in China involving arbitration proceedings in Hong Kong and applications before the Hong Kong Courts for anti-suit injunctions to restrain PRC court proceedings.
- Acting for a global hotel chain in disputes with their local partners concerning the operation of a hotel located in Shanghai, China involving arbitration proceedings before CIETAC in Shanghai.
- Advised and acted on behalf of a US-based fashion company in defending a multimillion-dollar claim against a leading private equity fund based in Hong Kong involving a convertible bond and warrant instrument in an HKIAC arbitration on UNCITRAL Rules.
- Acting for a Chinese-based e-book software manufacturer against a US company for alleged IP theft involving arbitration proceedings in Hong Kong with claims and counterclaims of approximately USD 50 million.
- Acting for a PRC company specialising in online games in their dispute with a Hong Kong private equity fund in a dispute concerning a convertible bond agreement involving arbitration proceedings in Hong Kong and an application for a Mareva injunction (involving the Chabra jurisdiction) in Hong Kong.
- Advised and acted on behalf of a leading Chinese electric power engineering company in its claim in an HKIAC arbitration and the Hong Kong Courts against a Vietnamese thermal power plant operation company for fees and damages exceeding US$ 50 million arising from an Engineering, Procurement and Construction Contract.
- Advised and acted on behalf of a leading regional investment and trading company in an HKIAC arbitration for breach of a sale and purchase agreement of iron ore fines. Successfully petitioned for the winding up of the opponent in the High Court of Hong Kong based on the arbitral award. (Reported case: Re Lucky Resources (HK) Ltd  4 HKLRD 301).
- Advised and acted on behalf of a leading banking group in South East Asia in its Hong Kong Court action against a Hong Kong/Singapore media group pursuant to loan facility agreements, corporate and personal guarantees.
- Advising a Kenyan bank on disputes in relation to an advance payment guarantee against a Hong Kong company.
- Acting for the China Classification Society in the public enquiry in Hong Kong concerning the ferry disaster which took place off Lamma Island in Hong Kong in which they have been completely exonerated.
- Chinese (Cantonese)
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- University of Hong Kong, Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (Distinction), 2012
- University of Hong Kong, Bachelor of Laws – Dean’s Honours List, 2011
- University of Hong Kong, Bachelor of Business Administration (Law), 2009
- 香港仲裁之当事人现可向内地法院申请保全, 21 October 2019
- New Arrangement Between Hong Kong and the People's Republic of China Makes It Easier to Enforce Judgments in Both Jurisdictions (香港与内地之间的新安排使得判决在两个司法管辖区之间执行更为容易), 11 Feb 2019
- The Interplay Between Arbitration and Winding Up Petitions – Asian Dispute Review, January 2017
Memberships And Affiliations
- Women in Arbitration (WIA) – HKIAC
- HK45 – HKIAC
- Accredited Tribunal Secretary at the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
My latest insights
Reshaping the Landscape for Third Party Funding in China – New CIETAC arbitration rules on...
10 January 2024 .10 minute read
Groundbreaking Arrangement on Cross-border Enforcement of Judgments set to come into...
22 November 2023 .8 minute read