Luciana Martorano has over 15 years of significant experience representing national and international clients of several industries before the Brazilian Competition Authority (CADE). Her two key areas of practice are merger control and cartel investigations.
Luciana has cleared more than 100 M&A transactions submitted to CADE and has participated in several investigations and defenses involving anticompetitive conduct, including cartels and the exchange of sensitive information. She is also one of the few lawyers in Brazil who have participated in the negotiation and signing of leniency agreements within CADE.
On the advisory side, Luciana has extensive experience in developing antitrust risk analysis in M&A transactions and vertical restraint practices in addition to developing, training and implementing corporate compliance programs, helping companies avoid or mitigate financial losses and remedy antitrust exposure.
Luciana is an enthusiastic student of topics involving technology and law: Multisided Platforms Businesses, Fintechs & Regtechs, Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies, Big Data and Artificial Intelligence (mainly IoT and Algorithms). In recent years, the market has recognized Luciana for her experience in advising companies in creating business strategies involving antitrust and regulatory issues related to the high-tech industry, digital economy and disruptive markets.
Luciana is also engaged in learning how to contribute with diversity issues in the legal sector, studying the best ways to deal with lawyer’s biases and with the law firms mixed feelings related to sexism, race, culture, sexual orientation, religion, social classes, and gender identity differences. Directly contributed to build one of the biggest Brazilian law firm’s programs for D&I.
DLA Piper and Campos Mello Advogados (CMA) are separate and independent law firms, which work in cooperation with one another. Partners of DLA Piper are not partners of CMA; and CMA partners are not partners of DLA Piper.
- Cleared more than 70 merger review proceedings before CADE, including multijurisdictional transactions
- Led the team that successfully advised a top US-based e-hailing startup in Brazil involving antitrust and regulation issues (2016-2018)
- Successfully cleared without restrictions the merger review related to the acquisition of an important player in the Brazilian market for water treatment by one of the world’s largest investors (2017)
- Assisted a major Chinese conglomerate in several worldwide acquisitions involving aviation, ground handling and air catering (2016)
- Assisted a Japanese client in entering into a leniency plus agreement with CADE involving an international cartel case (2015)
- Represented one of Brazil’s largest economic groups in the first merger control agreement signature under Law no. 12,529/2011 (2014)
- Represented the Brazilian Post Office in the acquisition of Rio Linhas Aéreas (2014)
- Participated in sensitive and complex internal investigations related to several markets, such as construction, auto parts and elevators
- Represented a major Brazilian cement company in a cartel investigation promoted by CADE from 1996 to 2014
- Led the team that successfully blocked a merger review proceeding by formally contesting a transaction involving the market for treatment and recovery of industrial waste (2013)
- Led the team that successfully closed a cartel investigation initiated by CADE against a major Brazilian company that focused on treatment and recovery of industrial and public waste (2013). This is the only case in the history that CADE has closed by accepting a motion for clarification
- Represented a Japanese client in a complex predatory price investigation against a Brazilian company involving the Brazilian market for DRAM memories (2012)
- Represented a major Brazilian bank in an important merger in the Brazilian banking market (2010)
- Participated in several negotiations of settlement and leniency agreements with CADE
- Defended clients in several cartel and unilateral conduct investigations
On the advisory side, Luciana has extensive experience in developing antitrust risk analysis in M&A transactions. She has also comprehensive experience in representing clients in major antitrust infringement proceedings.
Specialization, Gender Analytics: Gender Equity through Inclusive Design, University of Toronto (2023-ongoing)
Master's degree in Corporate Law, Universidade de São Paulo (USP). Law School., 2013
B.A.,Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie (UPM)., 2009
magna cum laude
- Bachelor of Literature, Universidade de São Paulo (USP). Human Sciences School.,2004 (Undergraduate)
- Leaders League – Merger Control Decisors (2023)
- Leaders League – Merger Control (2023)
- Thomson Reuters – Stand-Out-Lawyers (2023)
- Legal 500, Latin America – Mentioned in Competition and Antitrust: 2024
- Legal 500, Latin America – Mentioned in Corporate and M&A: 2021
- Best Lawyers, Brazil - Recognized in Competition and Antitrust: 2020 - 2023
- Análise Advocacia, National - Recognized as one of the most admired lawyers in Brazil in Competition practice: 2018 - 2022
- Análise Advocacia, Regional - Recognized as one of the most admired lawyers in Brazil: 2021-20231
- Análise Advocacia Mulher - Recognized as one of the most admired lawyers in Brazil in Competition practice: 2020 - 2023
- Contributor - Vertical Agreements and Dominant Firms Laws and Regulations Brazil, International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG) (2023)
- Speaker on the topic “O que é ser mulher?”, Podcast Interview – Vantagem Auferida (2023)
- Interviewed on the topic “Acordos de cooperação do CADE com outras jurisdições”, Podcast – Women In Antitrust (2023) Apple | Spotify
- Interviewed, "CADE imposes interim measures on private hospital association", Global Competition Review (2023)
- Interviewed, "CADE punishes fuel price-fixing cartel", Global Competition Review (2023)
- Panelist, “Antitrust and Sports”, Women in Antitrust Event (2023)
- Panelist, "Competition in the Digital Era - Challenges and Opportunities for public policies in digital markets", Event – ICC 4th Brazilian Competition Day (2023)
- Moderator, "Digital Competition: new markets with old problems," OAB-SP, 2019
- Speaker, "Digital Competition: Offer Personalization in Marketplaces," FGV-SP, 2019
- Speaker, "Antitrust litigation in a modern world: Competition law as a shield or a sword" and "Focus on media: how to struggle with a fast-evolving competition world," 8th AIJA Annual Competition Conference, Lyon, France, 2019
- Speaker, "Gender Equality as competitive advantage," 2nd Women in Antitrust Latin America Seminar, São Paulo, 2018
- Speaker, "Competition and Online Platforms," GCR Live 2nd Annual Women in Antitrust, Washington, DC, 2018
- Speaker, "Fintech and Competition Law – or: A Cartelists Dream?" 7th AIJA Annual Competition Conference: R&D and Innovation – Protection through or despite Antitrust Law? Frankfurt, Germany, 2018
- Speaker, "When exchanging sensitive information among competitors can be considered illegal?" Japanese Commerce Chamber, São Paulo, 2018
- Speaker, "One-stop-shop for leniencies in Brasil," 1st Women in Antitrust Latin America Seminar, Brasilia, 2018
- Speaker, "The interplay between the enforcement of standard-essential patents (SEPs) and antitrust/competition law," Global Patent Enforcement to Maximize Portfolio Value: Brazil, China, US, EU and Beyond, Dallas, 2017
- Speaker, "How to deal with private antitrust enforcement in Brazil?" Japanese Commerce Chamber, São Paulo, 2017
- Speaker, "Antitrust and the New Brazilian Civil Procedure Law," São Paulo Bar Annual Event (OAB/SP-CECORE), 2016
Civic and Charitable
Memberships And Affiliations
- Instituto Brasileiro de Estudos de Concorrência, Consumo e Comércio Internacional (IBRAC)
- American Bar Association (ABA) – Antitrust Section
- Women in Competition, Latin America (Sponsor Council Member)
- Women at Competition, Europe
My latest insights
Brazil: Cooperation among international antitrust authorities and the impacts on companies
6 December 2023 .6 minute read
The EU’s Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism: potential impacts for Brazilian and US...
2 February 2023 .2 minute read