Diego Ramos has practised technology and data protection law, intellectual property, outsourcing and commercial law, marketing, outsourcing and anti-money laundering law for more than thirty years.
Diego currently holds the position of Secretary to the Board of Directors of the Tata Consultancy Services de España, one of the largest outsourcing groups in the world and was for over a decade Secretary to the Board of Directors of Clínica Baviera, the Spanish stock exchange listed leader in the field of refractive eye surgery in Europe.
Diego has a transversal practice that combines Technology Law, Intellectual Property Law and Commercial Law, in a comprehensive and infrequent blend.
He has been the cyber security champion in DLA Piper Spain for over a decade being the senior trainer of clients on cyber security matters. He has been involved in national and cross-border advice and legal representation in the context of international hacking and data breach cases for major Spanish and foreign corporations including: fraudulent modification of website contents, theft of employees database and public disclosure thereof, theft of identity, wrong transfer of data to undue addressees, banking sector-related cyber incidents and life sciences related incidents.
Diego provides advice to a large number of clients on the design and implementation of programs to comply with personal data protection regulations, ensuring adequacy to the General Data Protection Regulation of the European Union and Spanish Fundamental Law 3/2018. He has also advised and represented them in the relationship with the Spanish Data Protection Agency in informative procedures, face-to-face inspections, allegations, procedures for the protection of rights and disciplinary procedures. In the contentious field, he has intervened in judicial proceedings regarding the protection of personal data both before the Audiencia Nacional and before the Supreme Court. He is currently a member of the global committee of DLA Piper's personal data protection experts.
He has practised in Brussels advising on data protection matters, coinciding with the latest phases in the adoption of Directive 95/46 on Data Protection.
Diego frequently writes in economic and legal press and research on data protection matters, being also co-author of the prestigious guide ""Laws of Data Protection of the World"" edited by his firm. He has been a trainer in privacy and data protection at several Universities in Madrid, as well as for national and international professional associations and forums, organizing public events on the protection of personal data. It has developed an intense pro-bono activity with social entities and NGOs to protect the fundamental right to privacy of the most vulnerable.
He has also been acknowledged as a leading specialist in outsourcing by the prestigious European Legal Experts Guide.
- Advising a major global engineering software group with German Headquarters in connection with the assessment of IP ownership rights on twenty state-of-the-art major software applications in the context of the largest corporate software purchase deal in Spain of the last five years. Our advice included complex analysis of IP laws in several jurisdiction and an innovative approach to the chain-of-title verification.
- Legal advice on IP (branding) and regulatory matters (multi-modal labelling) for in-shop and distance sales of a global leading quality-pizza-restaurants network in the context of its large-scale expansion in Spain.
- Advice in connection with the company’s branding strategy in Spain, for one the most fast-growing and innovative technology groups worldwide in the UAVs market.
- Advice to the European section of the world’s leading eye-surgery services group (AIER Eye) in connection with its new strategy to manage the group’s know-how, software and technology systems, as well as its key brands, through an innovative exploitation and management system.
- Advice to a leading media production group in connection with age rating requirements under the Spanish legislation and market practice.
- Advice to one of the largest technology outsourcing groups in the world in the context of the negotiation of a major outsourcing deal with a large Spanish global financial institution.
- Advice to a major international engineering software designer regarding its compliance with European and Spanish cybersecurity laws and regulations.
- Legal advice to the leading luxury goods brand in connection with the development of the online sales platform and the international privacy policies in the context of the new legal changes in Spain and Europe and the new business and marketing strategies of the group.
- Universidad Autónoma Madrid (Spain), Law Degree
- Cambridge School of Law (UK), Diploma in Contract Law
- Diego is regularly featured in the prestigious Chambers Global Directory, Chambers Europe and Legal 500 as a specialist in Intellectual Property Rights and Media and Technology Rights.
Diego publishes often articles in the Spanish financial press in Spain. On top of his activities as professor in the university, he also publishes legal analysis in specialized legal magazines, like La Ley Privacidad.
Diego has worked a senior counsel in several international law firms in Spain and abroad and has served as senior counsel for one the largest banking groups in Spain.
Memberships And Affiliations