Supporting UK government and the wider UK public sector
“No matter how big or complex the challenge, we can quickly provide expert insight and the boots on the ground you need.”
Whether it’s advising on complex technology transformation programmes, protestor action, procurement litigation, defence projects or complex infrastructure programmes, we help our government clients to get results.
DLA Piper is proud to be one of a limited number of suppliers appointed to all of the following CCS panels:
- RM6179 – Legal Services Panel. Supplier to Lot 1 (General Legal Services)
- RM6179 – Legal Services Panel. Supplier to Lot 2 (Finance & Complex Legal Services)
- RM6183 – Trade Law Panel. Supplier to Lot 2 (International Trade and Negotiations)
- RM6240 – Public Sector Legal Services – Lot 3 (Transport Rail Legal Services)
Please click on the links below to download a prospectus for more information about our experience and how we can help you.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about other panels, including for Welsh government.
Supporting suppliers to the government and wider public sector
We also work with suppliers, bidders, delivery partners, investors, funders and contractors at every stage of a project life cycle to achieve commercial goals on time and to budget.
Our team has extensive experience of assisting organisations with strategic responses to government and the wider public sector proposals, including bidding on government projects and advice on lobbying strategy. We work closely with the DLA Piper Regulatory and Government Affairs team which gives us a unique perspective on the workings of government and policy makers.
Did you know?
- We have over 20 years’ experience of supporting government, the wider public sector and suppliers to government
- We have over 150 core government team specialists, including former Government Legal Department lawyers
- More than 400 of our lawyers across all our practice groups regularly undertake government work
- We were a provider of Legal Services to COP26
General Government Services
Finance and Projects
- We advised the Department for Transport on the high profile, multi-billion pound Heathrow Expansion programme and associated cargo, terminal, rail and road surface access schemes. This included financing, regulatory, planning and environmental aspects of the program.
- We are supporting National Highways on its circa GBP7 billion Lower Thames Crossing scheme, which will construct one of the largest bored tunnels in the world, connecting the counties of Essex and Kent.
- We advised the City of London on the UK’s largest public sector Public Corporate Power Purchase Agreement to date, set to save the City Corporation approximately GBP3 million in energy costs over its lifetime.
- We supported the Official Receiver to advise directors of the 400+ subsidiary Carillion group entities considering the insolvent liquidation of the parent entities.
- We supported the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office on the procurement of the contracts that were required to deliver the G7 and COP26 Conferences.
- We supported government on three complex shared services joint ventures to transform back-office services to deliver a new shared platform to 12+ Departments; a 'one-stop-shop' debt analysis and collection company; and an 'on demand' hosting service, with a total value up to GBP3 billion.
- We supported the UK government on contracts created at speed and scale in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This included key IT infrastructure contracts critical to the COVID App, COVID Status Certificate, NHS App and vaccination programmes, whilst assessing and mitigating procurement challenge risk. We also supported in the litigation and judicial review brought by the Good Law Project, a high-profile public interest campaigning group.
- We advised the Department for Transport (DfT) on the 2019 Rail Franchising Litigation, one of the most complex and high-value commercial UK public procurement claims litigated to date.
- We have supported NHS Digital for over a decade on information governance controls supporting fair collection and transfer of data within the NHS IT ecosystem, including preparing fair collection notices, drafting data sharing arrangements, aligning vendor management controls and conducting privacy impact assessments.
- We supported the Independent Parliamentary Standards (IPSA) on a number of public law matters including IPSA’s powers, consultation requirements, constitutional law, parliamentary privilege, and resisting judicial review challenges. Our advice enabled IPSA to implement changes at speed (a key policy goal) without any successful judicial review challenge.
- We are supporting the Cabinet Office and Government Legal Department on updates to the Short Form template contract and Mid-Tier template on the back of updates to the Model Services Contract. This includes input on Northern Irish and Scottish law issues.
Latest news and insights
The Procurement Bill becomes an Act: What you need to know about the new procurement...
15 November 2023 .4 minute read
DLA Piper advises UK Government on delivering The Coronation of Their Majesties King...
25 July 2023 .3 minute read