Brian Biggs is a trial attorney who focuses his practice in the area of intellectual property litigation, with a predominant focus on patents. He has represented clients in over 150 patent litigations in the District of Delaware in a broad array of technical fields, including semiconductors, computer virtualization, video game animation, automotive, recycled glass, consumer products, digital signage, targeted internet advertising, e-commerce and other computer and internet technologies.
Brian is a Delaware native and has spent his career litigating patent disputes in the District of Delaware. Brian fuses his expertise of the Judges and the jurisdiction into his lead practice, commonly serving as lead in the technical (using his background in Physics and Bioengineering), damages, and discovery aspects of a patent litigation. He has stand up in-court experience at every aspect of litigation, including argument and examination at trial, and argument in summary judgment, claim construction, and discovery matters.
His experience with the District goes beyond the courtroom. Brian is currently an Associate member of the Delaware Board of Bar Examiners and sits as the Intellectual Property Chair of the Delaware Chapter of the Federal Bar Association in which he helps plan and put on on the District’s biennial Bench and Bar.
While Brian's practice focuses on the District of Delaware, he also has substantial experience in other prominent patent jurisdictions, including appellate advocacy in the Federal Circuit and Third Circuit, investigations at the International Trade Commission, and patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas, the Central District of California and the Southern District of California.
- J.D., Temple University School of Law 2011
- M.P.H., Epidemiology, Drexel University 2007
- B.S., Biomedical Physics, Pre-Medicine, Pennsylvania State University 2005
Minors: Bioengineering, Mathematics, History
- Chambers USA
- Band 3, Delaware Intellectual Property (2023)
- Up and Coming, Delaware Intellectual Property (2021-2022)
Chambers comments, "Brian Biggs is increasingly recognized for his sophisticated representation of clients in complex patent disputes, often those involving complex technology." Clients say, "He is fantastic to work with - hard-working, approachable and likable."
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Patent Litigation: Full Coverage (2022)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyer for Litigation - Intellectual Property, Litigation - Patent (2023)
- Brian was recognized by the District of Delaware for his pro bono representation through the Court’s Federal Civil Panel of a prisoner seeking a religious item while in prison. That case is currently on appeal to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. (January 2020)
- Brian became an Associate Member of the Delaware Board of Bar Examiners. (2019)
- Brian was accepted to and completed the prestigious District of Delaware Federal Trial Practice Seminar, a multi-week instructional trial practice program involving lectures, mock arguments and a mock trial. The program provides an unparalleled opportunity for younger lawyers to learn trial practice skills from and with the mentorship of the District of Delaware bench and distinguished practitioners. (2017)
- Brian is an active member of the Federal Bar Association's (FBA) Delaware Chapter, is currently a co-chair of the Delaware Chapter's Civics Committee and a liaison to the national FBA civics committee, and has been recognized for his work planning and putting on the District of Delaware Bench and Bar conferences in 2015, 2016 and 2018.
- Brian received two awards for outstanding oral advocacy during his coursework at Temple Law: the Norman Hegge Award and the Barrister's Award.
For more information, pursuant to New Jersey Lawyer Advertising guidance, please click here.
During law school, Brian completed clerkships with the Delaware Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General and the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority (SEPTA) tort defense team.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Lawyer Advisory Committee to the United States District Court for the District of Delaware, Member, 2022
- Delaware Board of Bar Examiners, Member, 2022
- Delaware Board of Bar Examiners, Associate Member, 2019-2022
- Federal Bar Association, Delaware Chapter, IP Section Co-Chair
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Delaware State Bar Association