Alex Cates focuses her practice on employment advice and counseling, workplace investigations, and employment guidance on transactional matters for a wide range of employers.
Alex regularly advises clients on various issues, including workplace misconduct, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, hiring and termination, wage and hour laws, state and federal leave laws, ADA accommodations, reductions in force, and employment handbooks and policies. She has also conducted workplace investigations on allegations of harassment, discrimination, retaliation, bullying, and unethical conduct. Alex has experience conducting workplace investigations of all sizes, including high-profile investigations that have made national headlines.
Alex counsels corporate and private equity clients on employment matters in connection with the full range of corporate transactions. Alex also conducts employer training on various topics, including state harassment law, state non-compete requirements, and state-mandated parental leave.
Alex’s experience defending employers in wage and hour class actions, private attorney general representative actions, wrongful termination and employment discrimination claims, state and federal whistleblowing, and other employment-related litigation guides her counseling. She has represented clients in employment-related cases before state and federal courts, the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the California Labor Commissioner, the Oregon Bureau of Labor & Industries, the Washington Department of Labor & Industries.
- J.D.,UCLA School of Law
- B.A., University of Washington
- "Washington state HB 1450 is signed into law, limiting enforceability of non-compete agreements – key takeaways," May 9, 2019
- California Employment Law Briefing, Virtual, October 20, 2021
- "Annual Employment Law CLE Briefing 2020," Seattle, February 20, 2020
- "California Employment Law Briefing," Los Angeles, January 30, 2020
- "4 Must-Watch Washington Wage Laws," Law360.com, February 7, 2023
Civic and Charitable
- Friends of the Seattle Public Library, Board Member
Memberships And Affiliations
- California Bar Association
- Washington Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Shell in its acquisition of solar and energy storage developer Savion
6 January 2022 .5 minute read