David De Cubberhe/himCounsel
David De Cubber specialises in the fields of insurance and reinsurance, as well as broader legal, regulatory, and contractual matters related to the banking and insurance industries, on a local and cross-border basis.
David advises insurance and reinsurance companies, insurance intermediaries and professionals in the insurance sector on their applications for authorisation by the Luxembourg insurance supervisory authority, as well as on cross-border transactions by these companies in the insurance sector in Europe, including reorganisations and the opening and closing of branches and representative offices.
With a wealth of experience, David is highly skilled in drafting and reviewing life, non-life insurance products, as well as agreements with intermediaries and private clients.
David also advises financial institutions, insurance companies, and investment funds on a wide range of issues relating to environmental, social, and governance (ESG) matters. He is well-versed in ensuring compliance with regulations, such as the sustainability-related disclosures regulation (SFDR) in the financial services sector.
David is a regular speaker in different insurance conferences and the author of various articles on insurance-related issues contributing to the development of Luxembourg legal doctrine.
David's extensive knowledge and experience make him an invaluable asset to clients seeking guidance in these areas.
- Advising a Luxembourg insurance company on the launch of an IT platform to serve their policyholders.
- Advising a Luxembourg insurance company in insurance regulatory matters in the EEA.
- Advising a Luxembourg insurance company in connection with their life-insurance contractual documentation.
- Advising a Luxembourg insurance company in relation to the reorganisation of its branches in the EEA.
- Advising a Luxembourg insurance company in the distribution of insurance products outside the EEA.
- Advising a Luxembourg insurance company on regulatory issues relating to the exchange of information within the group.
- Advising reinsurance companies in relation to their merger.
- Advising an insurance broker distributing and managing the assets of unit-linked life insurance policies.
- Luxembourg Bar School (cours complémentaires), 2019
- Université of Louvain-la-Neuve/Warwick University, Master’s degree in European Relations, 2002
- Université Louvain-la-Neuve, Master’s degree in law, 2001
Publications and media
David has written and co-authored publications on:
- The unit-linked life insurance contract made in Luxembourg, in “LIFE INSURANCE TAILORED IN LUXEMBOURG”, Legitech, 2023.
- SFDR - compliant remuneration policies: where do things stand?, in “Green Ethica”, Legitech, 2021.
- Life insurance: green light for Belgian "dedicated fund"? (“Assurance-vie: feu vert pour le “fonds dédié” belge ? ”, Le Fiscologue, 2016, n°1477).
- The new investment rules in Luxembourg for life insurance products linked to investment funds (“Les changements aux règles d'investissements pour les produits d'assurance-vie liés à des fonds d'investissement: des simplicités textuelles aux complexités pratiques?”, Bulletin Droit & Banque, n° 57, 2015).
- Le banquier dépositaire des avoirs mobiliers de contrats d'assurance-vie luxembourgeois, in “Le banquier luxembourgeois et l’assurance-vie”, Anthemis, 2011.
- 2023 to date, Counsel, DLA Piper, Luxembourg
- 2021-23, Counsel, International Law firm, Luxembourg
- 2019-21, Senior Associate, International Law firm, Luxembourg
- 2012-18, Head of legal, International Insurance Company
- 2006-12, Head of legal, Major International Private Bank
- 2002-06, Legal counsel, Major Luxembourg Bank
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member of the Association of the Insurance and Re-Insurance Companies in Luxembourg (ACA)
- Member of AIDA Luxembourg
- Member of the Association of Banking Lawyers (Association des Juristes de Droit Bancaire) (ALJB) in Luxembourg