Vincent Montalto is a seasoned litigator, smart advocate, creative business partner, and trusted legal advisor with over a decade of experience. Vinny's practice focuses on defense of environmental and mass tort claims, employment discrimination cases, and commercial cases at both the state and federal levels.
On the corporate side, Vinny advises on litigation funding related NDAs, term sheets, litigation funding/finance agreements, and side letters to secure financial arrangements.
Vinny serves as the co-leader of the firm's Affirmative Litigation practice and is a member of the PFAS Task Force.
Vinny's pro bono accomplishments include securing work visas for Ukrainian immigrants, drafting corporate governance documents for home builders for survivors of domestic violence, seeking expungements for veterans, supervising voter rights research projects, and cataloguing emergency responder laws across the country. He has also served as a mentor to a Raja Gaddipati Fellow, a DLA Piper initiative that offers undergraduate students insight into a large law firm environment.
- J.D., Rutgers University
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania
- Association of Corporate Counsel Top 10 30-Somethings, 2020
- Association of Corporate Counsel Value Champion Competition, Judge, 2018
- ACC Value Champion, 2017
- New Jersey Law Journal In-House Law Department of the Year (Outside Counsel Management and Diversity), 2016 and 2017, respectively
- Pro Bono Partnership Honor Roll, 2015 and 2016
- Super Lawyers Magazine New Jersey Rising Star, Products Liability, 2014 and 2015
- "Why Corporations Should Be Saying: Show Me the Funding!," The Legal Intelligencer, June 6, 2023
- "Overly Broad PFAS Regs Bring Costs For Companies," Law360, August 19, 2022
- "Keeping Civil Cases Civil: A Best Practice Guide from 4 Perspectives," ACC Digital Docket, July 15, 2019
- Panelist, "Challenges and Roadblocks in Corporate Utilization Litigation Finance," IMN Litigation Finance Forum 2023, New York, June 7, 2023
- Moderator, "Reducing Corporate Legal Costs Through Litigation Funding," GICLI Conference, Miami, November 8, 2022
- Panelist, "Reducing Corporate Legal Costs Through Litigation Funding," Chambers and Partners webinar, September 29, 2022
- Panelist, "Best Practices and Lessons Learned in Firm-Funder Partnerships," LF Dealmakers Forum, September 29, 2022
- Panelist, "When money meets IP – what funding is available for IP strategies," Managing IP's IP & Innovation Summit, May 24, 2022
- Panelist, "The Government Investigations & Civil Litigation Institute's Seventh Annual Meeting," Chief Audit Executives and In-House Counsel Forum, November 9, 2021
- Panelist, "Corporate Litigation Finance at a Tipping Point: Trends & Challenges," LF Dealmakers Forum, September 29, 2021
- Panelist, "Solutioning Session: How to Measure Outcomes as Part of Matter Costs," ACC Xchange, June 17, 2021
- Panelist, "Ad Idem on New Risks – 2021 and Beyond," Ad Item Network, May 4, 2021
- Panelist, "The Government Investigations & Civil Litigation Institute's Sixth Annual Meeting," Chief Audit Executives and In-House Counsel Forum, October 21, 2020
- Featured Conference Speaker and Panelist, "LF From Cost to Profit: Corporate Perspectives on Litigation Finance," Dealmakers Forum, October 20, 2020
- Panel Speaker, "Innovative Techniques for Law Departments to Generate Revenue & Reduce Spend During & After The COVID-19 Crisis," ACC of NJ, May 20, 2020
- Speaker, "Achieving Portfolio Success through Alternative Fee Arrangements," Marcus Evans: Chief Litigation Officer Summit, June 23, 2019
- Panel Speaker, "Battles of the Experts, Expert Nightmares," Magna Legal Services, May 15, 2019
- Featured and Quoted in Caroline Spiezio, "Corporate leaders warm up to litigation finance amid tight budgets," Westlaw News and Reuters (Oct. 20, 2020)
- Quoted in Michele Gorman, "4 Reasons GCs Won’t Do Business with a Firm," Law360 (Feb. 8, 2019)
- Quoted in "BASF: Driving Diversity One Snapshot at a Time," HARVARD LAW JOURNAL, THE CASE STUDIES, HLS 18-10 (June 2018)
Vinny served as Assistant General Counsel, Litigation to a leading global chemical company, where he was responsible for litigation strategy and risk mitigation for five North American business units, including those responsible for pharmaceuticals, human nutrition, cosmetics, epoxies, resins, intermediates, and oil field and water solutions, among others. Vinny was lead negotiator on multimillion-dollar claims, mediations, settlements, arbitrations and litigations, including intellectual property and patent disputes.
In addition to his role as counsel, Vinny launched and chaired the company's summer legal intern program, achieved company recognition through three prestigious awards, initiated a legal diversity program, and created the organization's litigation finance initiative.
Vinny served as a law clerk to the Honorable Rudy B. Coleman, JAD of the Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division.
My latest insights
Minnesota’s upcoming PFAS in Products law portends a potentially heavy compliance lift for...
18 May 2023 .6 minute read
EPA's Toxics Release Inventory Proposed Rule seeks to increase PFAS reporting
22 December 2022 .5 minute read