A global single source for leaders in commodity markets
Shaping the commodity industry requires constant innovation and adapting to change from both a legal and commercial perspective. One of the few law firms with a global group dedicated to servicing the commodity markets, we can help you to stay ahead of the competition through every deal and challenge.
We understand the commodity business from trading floor to board room. Wherever in the world commodities are traded, sold, shipped, stored and financed, we can assist in matters across transactions, regulatory and compliance, and dispute resolution.
Most of our lawyers have been active in commodity markets for decades, including working in-house and with industry associations. We understand the trends and competing interests that can arise around a commodity trade or transaction. This means we can help you to strike the correct balance among diverse interests from both a legal and a commercial perspective.
With a global reach across more than 40 countries on six continents, we are a one-stop-shop for traders, marketers, transporters, financiers, and producers. Our clients include some of the largest and most active commodity players in the world, who are innovating and shaping the sector.
“With a global reach across more than 40 countries on six continents, we are a one-stop-shop for traders, marketers, transporters, financiers, and producers.”
We advise them across the board. Our support includes: regulatory and compliance obligations, materials and training; OTC and on-exchange trading, hedging and risk issues; structured dealmaking and trade finance; vessel ownership and chartering; physical infrastructure development and utilization; and litigation and arbitration.
We can also call on multidisciplinary colleagues and advise on the full range of related legal and commercial areas. These include sanctions and OFAC regulations, anti-bribery and corruption laws, cybersecurity, IT and data management, government contracting, real estate, and renewable energy.
Our industry presence and client engagement include in-person roundtable discussions and events, providing alerts on emerging legal developments, and webinars and podcasts that address hot topics and critical issues in commodities.
- Six One Commodities LLC on the energy and commodity aspects of a USD540 million, one-year revolving borrowing base credit facility.
- BASF on its strategy for the purchase of renewable energy certificates and carbon offsets for its GHG Protocol Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions.
- Glencore Ltd. on aspects of its global e-waste trading operations.
- Hartree Capital Partners in connection with the development and implementation of an electronic trading platform.
- A global commodities trading company in connection with the purchase of the commodities trading book of a major international bank.
- Six One Commodities Global LLC in its acquisitions of Vega Energy Partners, Ltd., a Houston, Texas-based energy merchant, and WGL Midstream, Inc., a wholesale energy solutions business that invests in and optimizes natural gas pipelines and storage facilities in the Midwest and Eastern United States.
- Rabobank on its Plan Vivo verified portfolio of forestry offset projects.
- Statkraft on an EU ETS Allowance swap under ISDA and Rahmenvertrag documentation and receivable finance and escrow arrangements with Unicredit and the assessment of the transaction as risk reducing under EU financial services regulation.
- Volvo on the transfer of emissions quotas for its passenger vehicles and the use of carbon offsets for its heavy trucking vehicles.
- Carbon Streaming Corporation in its carbon credit streaming agreement with a subsidiary of Restoration Bioproducts LLC to support the construction of a biochar production facility in Virginia, US.
News and insights
DLA Piper advises Carbon Streaming in US$20M carbon credit streaming agreement
24 May 2022 .2 minute read
BTI Consulting Group recognizes 18 DLA Piper lawyers for providing superior client service
10 February 2022 .4 minute read