Dr Dietmar Schulz LL.M.Partner
Dr Dietmar Schulz has extensive experience in the field of cross-border restructurings (financial and corporate), NPL, Special Situations and distressed M&A. Dietmar advises financial institutions, investors and debtors.
Dietmar heads the German Restructuring Group and is Co-Chair of the global Restructuring Group of DLA Piper. His team is part of one of the largest group of restructuring lawyers in the world.
Dietmar is Co-Chair of the global Restructuring Group of DLA Piper. His team is part of one of the largest group of restructuring lawyers in the world.
- Advising a German bank in relation to its exposure towards insolvent Thomas Cook and Condor.
- Advising the insolvency administrator of BEV-Bayerische Energieversorgungsgesellschaft in relation to the sale of the business.
- Advising Italian Ricchetti Group in the restructuring and sale of its German business.
- Advising the debtor-in-possession administrator (Eigenverwalter) of Holzverpackung Hüfingen on the sale of the business in Germany, Spain and Poland to strategic investor Pilous.
- Advising on the acquisition of Dutch Propertize Bank by a bidder consortium of Lone Star and JP Morgan.
- Advising domestic and international financial institutions on the work-out and exit of distressed loan assets, inter alia, UniCredit Bank, Rabobank, Glitnir Bank Luxembourg and ING Bank.
- Acting as a foreign law expert to the High Court of Justice and advising the European Commission as Legal Expert in relation to selected questions of German/International insolvency law.
- Universities of Heidelberg and Cambridge
- Freie Universität Berlin, Ph.D.
- University of Edinburgh, LL.M.
- JUVE Handbook 2021/2022: Frequently recommended for insolvency and restructuring; ”very competent, comprehensive advice”, client
- Legal 500 Germany 2022: Recommended for restructuring and insolvency: restructuring; “Dietmar Schulz is a very agile and solution-oriented colleague”; “Dr. Dietmar Schulz is a very good team player with excellent leadership qualities at the same time.”
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023: Recommended for restructuring and insolvency
- WirtschaftsWoche 2020: Recommended as “top lawyer” for restructuring
Dr Dietmar Schulz has written numerous articles and co-authored books on insolvency law and he is recommended by legal directories such as JUVE in the fields of restructuring and insolvency.
- 2015 - "Apcoa – Grenzen der Anerkennung des Scheme of Arrangement nach Änderung der Rechtswahlklausel", in ZIP 2015, 1912.
- 2014 - Regarding the internal settlement of claims in a civil law company - remarks to German Federal Court of Justice (BGH), 4 June 2013 - II ZR 207/10, in WuB II J § 705 BGB 1.14.
- 24 May 2013 - Regarding the assignment of restitution claims deriving from contestation in insolvency proceedings, - remarks to German Federal Court of Justice (BGH), 10 January 2013 - IX ZR 172/11, in EWiR 2013, p. 329 et seqq.
- 25 January 2013 - Disadvantaging of creditors, order for payment of debt respectively loans, -remarks to German Federal Court of Justice (BGH), 21 June 2012 - IX ZR 59/11, in WuB 2013, p. 63 et seqq.
- September 2012 - The obligation of a liquidator of a German public limited company (Aktiengesellschaft) after its dismissal to point out matters of high importance to its successor, - remarks to German Federal Court of Justice (BGH), 28 February 2012 - II ZR 244/10, in WuB 2012, p. 527 et seqq.
- 17 November 2011 - shareholder liability, accessory liability, measure of proportional liability, - remarks to District Court of Berlin (Kammergericht), 22 December 2010 - 26 U 232, in WuB 2011, p. 659 et seqq.
- 16 August 2011 - Validity of assignments of loan claims, inter alia, to non-bank, - remarks to German Federal Court of Justice (BGH), 19.04.2011 - XI ZR 256/10, in EWiR 2011, p. 521 et seqq.
- 21 October 2010 - More rights to investors in case of liquidation of open funds, guest article in Börsen Zeitung, no. 203, p. 2.
- 16 July 2010 - Assignee's formal enforcement proceeding of a claim securing land charge by title of a submission clause only by entering into to the security agreement - remarks to German Federal Court of Justice (BGH), 30 March 2010 - XI ZR 200/09, in EWiR 2010, p. 409 et seqq.
- 11 June 2010 - Insurance agreements regarding outstanding loan and residual debt as connected contracts, - remarks to German Federal Court of Justice (BGH), 15 December 2009 - XI ZR 45/09, in EWiR 2010, p. 351 et seqq.
Dietmar joined DLA Piper in December 2012. Previously, he worked for leading law firms in London, Frankfurt and Munich since 2000 (since 2007 as a Partner).
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the German lawyers' association, sub-group insolvency and restructuring
- Insol Europe
- Member of TMA Deutschland
My latest insights
Best Lawyers / Handelsblatt recommends a total of 90 lawyers from DLA Piper in Germany
23 June 2022 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises Tillotson on the acquisition of the ignition technology division of the...
28 June 2021 .4 minute read