Corey Steel practices in the areas of construction and commercial litigation, as well as corporate insolvency. Corey is experienced in large scale and complex disputes, primarily within the construction sector and mining sectors, in both domestic courts and international arbitration. Corey regularly represents major international contractors in significant high value litigation, adjudication and arbitration in Western Australia and abroad.
Beyond construction disputes Corey has assisted his clients resolve disputes within the corporate, mining, energy and oil and gas sectors, and is experienced in dealing with joint venture, offtake and shareholder litigation. Corey has found that his background (BSc in Chemistry) assists him in his understanding of technical construction and operational disputes.
Corey's experience also covers broader issues facing his construction, engineering and mining clients including property disputes, regulatory investigations, as well as urgent search and seizure orders.
Over the course of the last decade of Corey's practise he has developed an expertise in corporate insolvency and restructuring. While Corey's experience includes acting for banks, receivers and administrators, Corey now more often assists his construction and mining clients, and in particular his international clients, to navigate the insolvency process and deal with the impacts on their projects and business.
Corey is known for his calm, pragmatic approach and his commercial outlook on significant matters. Corey's clients are assured by his deep involvement in the detail of significant matters and ability to provide strategic value and insight.
- Acting for a significant construction and engineering joint venture contractor in numerous adjudications and arbitrations, both up and down the contracting chain, arising out of a multi-billion dollar LNG project off the coast of northern Australia
- Advising both international clients and domestic in respect of disputes, both arbitration and litigation, arising from contested short term and long term offtake agreements.Representing a global engineering company to seek and execute an urgent search order in order to protect its confidential information, and then continuing to act in respect of resulting proceedings
- Assisting contractors, owners, utility operators and other significant international clients in dealing with the insolvency process, including representing clients in creditors' meetings, negotiating or disputing in court deeds of company arrangement and seeking injunctive relief to protect various interests
- Acting for an Australian contractor in respect of claims arising from the construction of a large pipeline in remote Western Australia in both court proceedings and adjudications under security of payment legislation
- Acting for a junior mining company in Western Australian Supreme Court proceedings regarding the actions of a counterparty to a significant shareholder agreement
- Representing an international contractor in respect of claims made against a subcontractor regarding the provision of defective and incomplete work, including pursuing and defending multiple adjudications under security for payment legislation
- Advising one of the world's largest oil and gas companies in respect of arbitration proceedings arising out of a multi-billion dollar LNG project of the coast of Western Australia, including in respect of a number of comparative law issues arising due to parallel proceedings in multiple jurisdictions
Memberships And Affiliations
Corey Steel is a Solicitor registered with The Legal Practice Board of Western Australia.
My latest insights
Navigating Rough Seas: Insights into arbitration trends and issues relating to offshore...
10 October 2023 .4 minute read
No going backwards on jurisdiction: Revisiting the ‘functus officio’ risks of strategic...
15 February 2023 .6 minute read