Joseph D. GuarinoPartner
Joe Guarino is an established international lawyer who has been providing legal and strategic advice to global clients and boards for a quarter of a century. He is a trusted partner who is regularly sought out by businesses across sectors for high-profile sensitive matters. Clients look to Joe for his ability to see around corners and de-risk complex situations in a no-nonsense and practical manner.
Joe and his team conduct high-stakes investigations and manage complex matters around the world involving sovereign related issues, real estate, bankruptcy, corporate compliance, data privacy, labor and employment, environmental, regulatory, international trade, tax, transactional matters and structured finance.
Joe also regularly assists clients in managing their global workforces. He is a veteran litigator and counselor on issues arising out of international workforce restructurings, compliance with US and foreign laws, executive agreements, independent contractor and classification issues, wage and hour laws, non-competition and trade secrets, corporate raiding, whistleblowers, wrongful termination, workplace investigations, disability accommodations, hiring and firing, medical leaves, policies and procedures, employee theft and background checks.
Working across a wide spectrum of industries, Joe works with clients in media, professional sports, fashion and retail, financial services, medical devices, healthcare, nutrition, real estate ownership, development and management, industrial equipment and technologies, automotive, clinical laboratories, hospitality and technology companies. He is also a trusted advisor to investment banks, hedge funds, private equity and venture capital firms, broker-dealers, entrepreneurs and emerging growth businesses.
- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law 1996
magna cum laude
- B.A., University of Scranton 1990
- Chambers USA
- Band 4, New Jersey Labor & Employment (2016-2022)
- The Legal 500 United States
- Prominent Lawyer (2020)
For more information, pursuant to New Jersey Lawyer Advertising guidance, please click here.
- Recognizing (and combatting) unemployment insurance fraud amid COVID-19, 16 September 2020
- Contact tracing apps: the promise and perils of automated tracking of COVID-19 exposure, 18 June 2020
- New Jersey to jump on the salary history "ban" wagon, 3 December 2019
- Co-author, "COVID-19 and the Workplace: Getting Comfortable with the Uncomfortable," New Jersey Law Journal, August 19, 2020
- Co-author, "The High Cost of Unpaid Interns," Law à la Mode, Issue 11 (Fall 2013)
- "Benjamin Moore Says Color Names Not Racist," Courthouse News Service (July 23, 2014)
- "Benjamin Moore Smears Suit That Paints Co. As Racist," Law360 (July 22, 2014)
- "Battling Blind POS Suits May Be Lost Cause For Retailers," Law 360 (May 23, 2014)
- "NJ Paid Sick Leave Bill Would Ensnare Even Smallest Cos.," Law360 (August 29, 2013)
- "Ex-Sedgwick Atty Ends Suit Over Firing For Bailiff Romance," Law360 (July 9, 2013)
- Justice Marie L. Garibaldi, the New Jersey Supreme Court
My latest insights
New Jersey AI bias and non-disparagement laws would impose new requirements on employers
3 March 2023 .6 minute read