With close to 30 years at DLA Piper, Kieran holds the esteemed role of Global Co-Chair for Class Actions and Mass Torts. Kieran finds it both humbling and sobering to be part of such an accomplished team of global talent and is greatly satisfied by the limitless collective value that the DLA Piper global team offers to its clients.
His wealth of expertise in class actions, product liability and complex insurance claims establishes him as a crucial player in cases that significantly impact the future and reputation of the entities involved, particularly those in the life sciences, manufacturing, sport, insurance and food & beverages sectors.
Kieran actively contributes to changes in the industry, keeping an eye on upcoming developments, and his experience gives him an edge in predicting outcomes and advising clients towards positive outcomes.
He is deeply invested in his team, promoting a close, supportive environment where individuals can grow and contribute meaningfully. He helps them understand potential outcomes and prepares them to face their challenges head-on.
Kieran is actively involved in DLA Piper's Pro Bono program and has supported UNICEF's Child Rights Project. He is involved in a number of initiatives, including the AFL Cape York House program, and is also a former Board Member of Maddie Riewoldt's Vision and continues to serve as its honorary lawyer.
- Acting for the AFL in all of its concussion litigation including 2 class actions issued in the Supreme Court of Victoria: Rooke v Australian Football League.
- Acting for a global medical device company in a class action relating to alleged pelvic mesh device complications in the Federal Court of Australia: Weedon & Anor v Covidien Pty Ltd & Ors.
- Defending Domino's Pizza Enterprises Limited in a novel (test case) class action before the Federal Court of Australia concerning the Australian Consumer Law and wages of franchisee employees: Gall v Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Ltd.
- Acting for and advising Pfizer in relation to its COVID-19 vaccine and ensuing litigation and regulatory issues, including in the current Federal Court matter of Fidge v Pfizer Australia Pty & Anor.
- Acting for a global pharmaceutical company in a recently settled Federal Court class action, being a failure to warn case involving over 200 group members alleging side-effects from the consumption of two medications used to treat symptoms for Parkinson's Disease and restless leg syndrome: Winterford v Pfizer Australia Pty Ltd.
- Advising a global life sciences client in a class action relating to a medical device product.
- Advising an interested party in the Federal Court “Ruby Princess” class action: Karpik v Carnival PLC & Anor.
- Acting for a Victorian Council in a Supreme Court of Victoria class action relating to the Mickleham bushfires in February 2014: Williams v Hume City Council & Ors.
- Acting for the AFL in group claims and litigation arising from the Essendon Football Club supplements saga.
- Successfully acted both at trial and on appeal for the plaintiff in Amaca Pty Ltd v CSR Ltd & Anor  VSC 582 and  VSCA 320, a Supreme Court of Victoria group proceeding involving in excess of 200 claims for equitable contribution as a result of a product liability partnership dispute between two asbestos manufacturers in the 1960s-1970s.
- Acting for multiple US, European and Asian manufacturers in product liability and product recall mandates across multiple sectors.
- Best Lawyers - Recognised by Best Lawyers™ in Australia since 2012 in the areas of Insurance, Litigation, Product Liability and Class Action Law.
- Leading Lawyer in the International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers.
- Doyle's Guide for:
- 'Leading (pre-eminent) Dust Diseases Lawyers & Law Firms - Victoria 2016 onwards.
- 'Leading (pre-eminent) Public Liability Lawyers - Victoria 2017 onwards.
Kieran has published numerous articles for internal and external publications, has provided special commentary on both television and radio, and has had an article published in the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age (Melbourne).
Memberships And Affiliations
My latest insights
“Would you like fries with that?” Litigation funders upsize in McDonald’s common fund...
31 October 2023 .5 minute read