Supporting your aerospace and defense business across the world
Aerospace and defense is a highly technical sector with an evolving regulatory landscape, and evolving market demands and business trends. To help you succeed in this complex environment, we provide tailored and pragmatic solutions on a global scale and across all business functions. We work with you to ensure smooth and successful day-to-day operations with personnel, real estate, intellectual property protection and commercial dealings. And we guide you through business transformation and business expansion – both organically and through acquisition, restructuring, outsourcing and strategic alliances, dispute resolution, IT structuring and digitization. We collaborate with clients in scenario planning processes to anticipate the potential consequences of significant business challenges on a global and local scale, such as the pandemic and security breaches.
“The team is extremely knowledgeable on the substantive law and has a deep understanding of the sector and the business needs of the client.”
We act for the full range of industry stakeholders whether their products or services focus is land, sea, air or space. We advise parts makers, technology developers and system integrators, service providers, air and space management solutions and aircraft operators.
In aerospace and defense, governmental entities are not only the regulators overseeing companies’ compliance but also the companies’ customers. We understand this dynamic as we guide clients through procurement and contract execution challenges.
From 90+ offices in 40+ countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, we are positioned to work cross-border like no other firm. Our teams deploy quickly and seamlessly around the world, providing clients with efficient, experienced and effective service to help achieve their business goals.
- Advising BAE Systems, Inc., a US subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, a UK based international defense contractor, and its subsidiary BAE Systems Technology Solutions & Services Inc., in its USD200 million acquisition of Bohemia Interactive Simulations, a global software developer of simulation training solutions for military organizations. Advising Montana Aerospace AG, a manufacturer of complex lightweight components and structures for the aerospace industry, on its successful initial public offering and listing on the SIX Swiss Exchange. The IPO consisted of a base offering of 17,153,997 new shares and an over-allotment option for 2,573,099 over-allotment shares held by Montana Tech Components AG, the previous sole and future majority shareholder.
- Advising CAE Inc., a Canada-based simulation and training company, in various matters including:
- it and its US subsidiary CAE USE Inc. in their USD1.05 billion acquisition of the L3 Military Training business from L3Harris; and
- providing ongoing advice to CAE Aircrew Training Services in respect of its concession contract with the UK Ministry of Defence and other third party contracts relating to the Medium Support Helicopter Aircrew Training Facility.
- Advising Rocket Lab USA in various M&A, including the acquisitions of:
- SolAero, a PE-backed supplier of space solar power products and precision aerospace structures for the global aerospace market; and
- Advanced Solutions, a Colorado-based aerospace engineering firm delivering mission proven space software, mission simulation and test systems, and Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) solutions.
- Advising Airbus on several strategic projects, including strategic sourcing, the design and creation of a global flight training curriculum, and transactional projects. Examples include advising Airbus:
- as joint shareholder in the AirTanker joint venture, in connection with the acquisition by Equitix of the shares in that JV from Rolls-Royce and Babcock;
- on the establishment of a joint venture by Airbus Helicopters with a special purpose vehicle owned by the Hungarian state, with the purpose of developing a competitive industrial base for helicopters and associated services; and
- on its acquisition of Navtech, a global provider of flight operations solutions.
- Advising Analytical Graphics, a developer of mission-driven modeling, simulation, testing and analysis software for aerospace and defense organizations, in its USD700 million sale to ANSYS.
- Advising Antenna Research Associates, via its financial sponsor Gladstone Capital, in the acquisition of AQYR Technologies, a provider of SATCOM terminals for the commercial communications and military aerospace markets.
- Advising Northrop Grumman on their Norwegian Satellite Programme.
- Advising BAE Systems, Inc., and its subsidiary BAE Systems Information and Electronic Systems Integration Inc., in various acquisitions, including the USD1.925 billion acquisition of the Military Global Positioning Systems business of United Technologies Corporation/Collins Aerospace; its USD275 million acquisition of the Airborne Tactical Radios business of Raytheon; and its acquisition of Riptide Autonomous Solutions.
- Advising Sabena Aerospace Engineering on the creation of a joint venture with SONACA to offer innovative services in the field of military aeronautics, in particular in respect of the to the F-35 maintenance offerings.
- Advising and coordinating local counsel in 40+ jurisdictions on the preclosing reorganization of Lockheed Martin’s global Information Systems and Global Solutions business prior to the merger of IS&GS with Leidos, with an aggregate transaction value of USD4.6 billion.
- Advising Heart Aerospace, a Swedish company developing electric airplanes for commercial short haul flights, on a variety of matters including IP, investment programs, commercial contracts and acquisitions.
- Advising a Babcock and Lockheed Martin joint venture on all aspects of its GBP6 billion (through-life projected value) single source bid for the provision of training facilities and simulators for the Fixed Wing Training element of MFTS, including funding and sub-contract arrangements.