Ray Miller is a trusted intellectual property advisor to clients in a wide range of spaces. He adds value to each client's IP estate by providing clear and pragmatic guidance that allows for efficient navigation of IP opportunities. Ray helps clients identify, protect, secure and optimize the value of their IP by combining strategic patent prosecution with manufacturing and regulatory exclusivity strategies. Ray counsels materials science, pharmaceutical, medical device, biologics and digital therapeutics clients to allow them to obtain a sufficient return on their investment. Ray also manages freedom-to-operate, manufacturing and supply considerations on his clients' behalf. His clients include private equity and venture capital funds, pharmaceutical and biotechnology firms, world-class medical and research facilities, and Fortune 500 companies with well-developed intellectual property portfolios.
Ray's practice is transactional. He has led hundreds of due diligence projects and prepared all forms of IP agreements and opinions. He applies his deep understanding of the life and materials sciences in a diverse range of industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, energy, manufacturing, computer hardware, water and air purification, and specialty plastics and chemicals. Ray's experience in pharmaceuticals and biotechnology extends to disciplines such as medicinal chemistry, genetics, nutraceuticals, proteomics, nanotechnology and tissue engineering.
- Counseled clients in creating regulatory exclusivity strategies that allowed for approval of numerous products without composition of matter patents or, in some cases, without Orange Book-listed patents.
- Represented a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company in creating a pathway for patent and regulatory exclusivity for dermatological products.
- Successfully represented clients in transition from private to public as well as transition from clinical stage to marketing stage for pharmaceutical and biological products.
- Represented a company in creating patent and regulatory exclusivity for a topical cream.
- Successfully extended the exclusivity rights of a publicly traded biotechnology company’s patent portfolio beyond its natural life, with its patent portfolio extension valued in excess of US$500 million.
- Counseled a global healthcare company in its more than US$1 billion equity investment.
- Represented a publicly traded company that manufactures and markets products that remove contaminants and odors from liquids and gases in a variety of intellectual property needs.
- Successfully navigated the ITC on behalf of a chemical manufacturing company in defense of patent infringement allegations.
- J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- M.A., Princeton University
- B.S., University of Akron
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Patents: Prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings) (2023)
- Recommended, Patents: Licensing (2023)
- Acritas Star, Acritas (2018 – 2021)
- Patent 1000, International Asset Management (2014 – 2021)
- Strategy 300, International Asset Management (2020 – 2022)
- Intellectual Property – Pennsylvania, Chambers and Partners (2017 – 2019)
- Co-author, "Developing, Disclosing, and Patenting Technology During National Emergencies," The Licensing Journal, June/July 2020
- Author, "DTC Compounded Medications: A Treatment Option for a System In Need?," Dermatology Times, January 2020
- Author, "Intellectual Property for Life Sciences Entrepreneurs," Journal of Commercial Biotechnology, June 2019
- Author, "How to Use Patents to Maximize Value for Your Venture," DermatologyTimes, May 2019
- Co-author, "In Sickness and in Health: Comparing Patent Protection for Pharmaceuticals and Dietary Supplements," IPWatchdog, September 2018
- Co-author, "NIH May Own Gilead's Blockbuster Hepatitis Drug Due to Misstep," Bloomberg Law, April 2018
- Co-author, "Aligning a Product’s Marketing, Regulatory and IP Plans," Law360, September 2017
- Speaker, Pittsburgh Virtual Biomedical Breakfast, October 2020
- Speaker, "From Patent to Patient: Protecting Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Hand Surgery," American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH) Annual Meeting, October 2020
- Panelist, "How to Hit a Home Run on Pitch Under the Mansﬁeld Rule," Pepper Hamilton Affinity Groups Joint CLE Program, January 2019
- Speaker, "Building Next Generation Innovations," 2019 Dermatology Summit, January 2019
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Ray served as the Chair of a national law firm's IP group, and head of their Health Sciences IP practice. He is also the co-founder of two companies – Complexa Inc. and Nitromega Corp. – and an inventor on over a dozen issued patents.
My latest insights
Five considerations for developing digital therapeutics patent portfolios
19 July 2023 .3 minute read