Jeff L. SalingerPartner
For the last 25 years, Jeff has advised on environmental risks and opportunities in corporate and real estate transactions. Over the years, he has counselled a wide array of clients with respect to corporate social responsibility, ESG issues, climate change disclosure, brownfield redevelopment and worker health and safety. He also helps clients comply with environmental laws, resolve environmental disputes and coordinate responses to emergency conditions, including releases of PFAS containing materials.
Jeff spends the majority of his time managing environmental issues in corporate, finance and real estate transactions. He has also served as lead environmental counsel to underwriters and issuers in hundreds of securities offerings.
Jeff was appointed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg in 2003 to the Council on the Environment of New York City. He served in that capacity for 13 years.
Before joining DLA Piper, Jeff served as the head of the environmental practice for 14 years at another global law firm in New York. Prior to joining that firm, Jeff practiced environmental law at a large regional law firm in Massachusetts.
- Represented Continental AG in environmental matters associated with its acquisition of the automotive parts division of Motorola
- Represented ST Assembly Test Services Ltd., in connection with environmental matters relating to its merger with California-based ChipPAC, Inc.
- Represented BE Aerospace in connection with environmental matters relating to its US$310 million acquisition of TSI Group, Inc.
- Represented Deere & Company regarding environmental disclosure and preparation of SEC filings and sustainability reports
- Represented United States Department of Energy connection with environmental matters relating to the issuance of a US$197 million loan guarantee to SoloPower, Inc. in support of the construction and operation of solar module manufacturing facilities in Portland, Oregon and San Jose, California
- Represented United States Department of Energy in connection with environmental matters relating to its conditional commitment of a US$350 million loan guarantee to Great Basin Transmission, LLC, to develop the One Nevada Transmission Line
- Advised Morgan Stanley Senior Funding, Inc. on environmental issues relating to a US$230 million financing to the mini-mill steel producer Steel Dynamics, Inc.
- Advised American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings, Inc. on environmental issues associated with the acquisition of Metaldyne Performance Group Inc.
- Advised Borealis Infrastructure on environmental issues associated with the acquisition of a 49 percent equity shareholding in a portfolio of wind farm assets in the US from EDP Renováveis ING Capital
- Advised J.P. Morgan Securities LLC, RBC Capital Markets, LLC, Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated, Barclays Capital Inc., Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC and MUFG Securities Americas in connection with environmental issues relating to the Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of US$2.9 billion senior notes of Cenovus Energy Inc.
- Advised Blue Pearl Mining concerning environmental issues arising in connection with the borrowing of US$402 million from UBS to purchase the Thompson Creek Metals Company
- Represented the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd., GE Capital EFS Financing, Inc., Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited, New York Branch, ING Capital LLC, Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale, New York Branch and Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, in connection with environmental issues relating to a US$715 million of senior secured credit facilities for Gridiron Funding, LLC, a subsidiary of LS Power
- Representation of the underwriters in connection with environmental issues associated with Boeing Company's of US$300 million senior notes due in 2022, US$300 million senior notes due in 2027 and US$300 million senior notes due in 2047
- Advised Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated, J.P. Morgan Securities LLC, Goldman, Sachs & Co. and Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC as joint book-running managers, and Fifth Third Securities, Inc., PNC Capital Markets LLC, SunTrust Robinson Humphrey, Inc. and Wells Fargo Securities, LLC as co-managers, in connection with environmental issues associated with a Rule 144A/Regulation S offering by Steel Dynamics, Inc. of US$400 million senior notes due 2026
- Represented Citigroup, as arranger, and the note purchasers concerning environmental matters raised by the financing of four California solar projects owned by subsidiaries of Consolidated Edison
- Advised Citicorp North America, Credit Suisse Securities (USA) and Morgan Stanley Senior Funding concerning environmental matters relating to the US$345 million construction financing of LS Power's 738-MW natural gas-fired, combined-cycle electric generating facility in West Deptford Township, New Jersey
- Advised BNP Paribas Securities Corp., Credit Agricole Securities (USA) Inc., J.P. Morgan Securities LLC, and Wells Fargo Securities, LLC connection with environmental matters relating to Atmos Energy Corporation's offering of US$500 million Senior Notes due 2027
- Advised Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Royal Bank of Canada, Barclays, and Macquarie Capital, on environmental matters related to financing for the US$2.2 billion acquisition of 3,950 MW of generation resources by Helix Generation, LLC, from TransCanada Corporation
- Advised B/E Aerospace regarding environmental matters associated with the US$400 million acquisition of UFC Aerospace
- Advised Bank Securities Inc., J.P. Morgan Securities LLC, SunTrust Robinson Humphrey, Inc., Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated and Wells Fargo Securities, LLC, in connection with environmental disclosures associated with a Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of US$750 million aggregate principal amount of 5.50% senior notes due 2025 of Cott Holdings Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Cott Corporation
- Advised American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc., as borrower, and American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings, Inc. with respect to environmental issues associated with the US$2.55 billion financing relating to the acquisition of Metaldyne Performance Group, Inc.
- Representation of the underwriters in connection with environmental matters associated with Merit Medical Systems, Inc.'s offering of 5,175,000 shares of common stock
- Advised Jefferies Finance concerning environmental matters relating to a US$300 million facility for Emerald Performance Materials
- Advised Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in connection with environmental matters relating to the US$175 million financing for the acquisition of Pine Branch Coal Sales by Blackhawk Mining
- Advised DaimlerChrysler AG on environmental matters related to the sale of an 80.1 percent interest in Chrysler Holding LLC to Cerberus Capital Management, LP
- Advised the Lead Arrangers on environmental matters relating to the US$6.75 billion senior unsecured bridge financing for TXU Energy and the US$4.5 billion senior unsecured bridge financing for TXU Corp., related to the acquisition of TXU Corp. by an investor group led by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co., Texas Pacific Group and an affiliate of Goldman Sachs & Co.
- Advised Citigroup, in connection with environmental issues concerning a shelf takedown of US$500 million of ONEOK, Inc.'s 4.00% notes due 2027
- J.D., Boston University School of Law 1997
- B.A., University of Michigan 1993
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Environment: Transactional (2023)
- Chambers USA
- Recommended, Healthcare: Life Sciences (2022)
- Band 3, New York Environment: Mainly Transactional (2007-2016, 2020-2021)
Chambers comments, "Jeffrey Salinger manages environmental due diligence for real estate deals and securities transactions." Clients say, "He is tenacious in finding answers to tough questions." "Commercially savvy, with a deep and wide range of knowledge and experience." "He has a great legal mind and also has the commercial expertise needed to provide sound business judgment and move deals along." Clients describe him as "terrifically bright and a powerhouse," and "terrific, commercial, and smart," while noting his skill in advocating "for his clients with authority and passion."
- Band 2, New York Environment: Mainly Transactional (2018-2019, 2023)
- Band 1, New York Environment: Mainly Transactional (2017)
- Super Lawyers
- Top-Rated Environmental lawyer (2007, 2012-2017)
- Co-Author, "Climate Activism: Status Check and Opportunities for Public Companies," Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance, January 16, 2021 and The Corporate Governance Advisor, March/April 2021
- Co-Author, “ESG: the rise of private ordering and the role of the NCGC Committee,” DLA Piper's handbook, March 26, 2020
- "A Carbon Tax Plan Proposal: What Are Its Prospects?" New York Law Journal, February 21, 2017
- "New York," Brownfields: A Comprehensive Guide to Redeveloping Contaminated Property, 3rd Edition, published by the Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, American Bar Association, 2010
- "Chapter 54: New York," Brownfields: A Comprehensive Guide to Redeveloping Contaminated Property, 2nd Edition, published by the Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, American Bar Association, 2001
- Speaker, "Violence Against Women as a Crime Against Humanity and The United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda: A Prosecutorial Assessment," Harvard Law School, November 10, 2004
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Section of Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law
- New York Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
My latest insights
Industrials Regulatory News and Trends - September 22, 2023
22 September 2023 .6 minute read
DLA Piper advises BASF on global carve-out of mobile emissions catalysts and precious...
18 September 2023 .5 minute read