Laura ShinglerLegal Director
Laura Shingler has experience in disputes and investigations, with a particular focus on sanctions, anti-bribery and corruption (ABC), anti-money laundering (AML) and corporate crime.
She acts for leading corporate and financial institutions advising them on a range of regulatory and compliance issues and assisting them with the implementation of robust compliance programmes.
Laura is ranked for “UAE Corporate Investigations” in Chambers Global 2018-2023, and Legal 500 as a “Rising Star” for Compliance and Investigations. Both categories include sanctions expertise.
- Conducting sanctions and AML risk assessments and audits, including for a multinational consumer goods company.
- Assisting financial and corporate institutions navigate their way through sanctions hits and breaches, providing strategic guidance and advising on regulatory expectations and reporting obligations.
- Conducting detailed due diligence on corporate transactions and advising on counterparty and transaction risk and dealings in sanctioned jurisdictions.
- Designing and developing sanctions compliance programmes and drafting policies and procedures for multiple financial and corporate institutions.
- Drafting protective sanctions language in financial and commercial contracts to mitigate sanctions risk.
- Advising a UK insurance payment processing firm on non-compliance with sanctions laws and regulations, including providing strategic guidance on sanctions hits and breaches and drafting disclosures to the regulator and enforcement agency.
- Advising a leading bank in Oman on its potential risk and exposure arising from the imposition of US sanctions against one of its customers.
- Secondments to the sanctions compliance team at an international bank in the UAE to support them during their monitorship by US regulators for sanctions violations, and the sanctions, AML and ABC team at Citibank in London.
- Advising leading multinational corporations on multi-jurisdictional projects relating to international sanctions, AML and ABC laws and regulations including compliance obligations across 26 jurisdictions.
- Advising a leading financial services authority in the Middle East on the audit and implementation of a robust internal compliance programme in accordance with local law and international best practice.
- Advising a Chinese port authority on the US and EU sanctions risks associated with transshipment of restricted goods from Iran to China through the UAE.
- The College of Law, Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, 2006
- University of Leeds, Law, LLB Hons, 2003
- Laura has been ranked in “UAE Corporate Investigations” by Chambers Global 2018-2023 and is described by peers as an “expert in the field.”
- Laura has been ranked as a “Rising Star” for Compliance and Investigations, and Financial Services Regulation, in Legal 500
- Anticorruption and anti-money laundering top the UAE’s enforcement agenda: Key takeaways, 12 July 2023
- Anti-money Laundering: United Arab Emirates, 27 February 2023
- US, EU and UK Price Caps on Russian Crude Oil and Petroleum Products, 15 February 2023
- "The fight against financial crime", the Oath Magazine, May 2019
- "How to deal with multiple regulators in multiple jurisdictions", Journal of Financial Compliance, March 2019
- "Global Sanctions Trends 2018", the Oath Magazine, May 2018
- "Global Sanctions Guide", March 2018
Presentation and Seminars
- Something to report – a lesson in cross-border investigations, June and September 2023
- Unpacking investigators and investigations - Fraud Insolvency Recovery and Enforcement (FIRE) conference, November 2023
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of England and Wales
My latest insights
Something to report: A lesson in cross-border investigations
12 September 2023 .2 minute read