Alex Jorge is a tax lawyer with over 20 years of experience advising companies from several sectors on how to navigate the tax complexities in Brazil. He is praised by clients for being very responsive, clear on presenting issues and solutions but yet technical.
He advises both foreign companies investing in Brazil and Brazilian multinationals investing abroad on corporate taxes, audit defense, M&A, transfer pricing, customs and international taxation. He also advises high net worth individuals and family offices on the various tax aspects of their investments.
Alex has significant experience in the consumer goods, food and beverage sectors, including the direct selling industry due to his 15 years’ experience as in-house counsel for Avon Products before joining the firm.
He has advised football clubs on the conversion from a not for profit to a special purpose company (SAF) subject to a special tax regime. In 2022, he advised a few clubs such as Botafogo F.C.
In 2021, Alex acted as lead tax advisor to Laureate Education on the sale of the several assets in Brazil to Anima Educacional on a BRL 4.1 billion deal.
Alex is the co-practice group leader of the Tax Practice in Latin America at DLA Piper. He is frequently sought by specialized tax publications to provide comments on controversial issues in Brazil.
DLA Piper and Campos Mello Advogados (CMA) are separate and independent law firms, which work in cooperation with one another. Partners of DLA Piper are not partners of CMA; and CMA partners are not partners of DLA Piper.
- Provided tax advice on the formation of an SPC for Botafogo Football Club in Brazil and the receipt of investment from a U.S investor (2022).
- Advised Brazilian power company Eneva S.A on the acquisition of power plants in Brazil from New Fortress Energy and EBrasil Energia S.A for $1.29 billion in 2022.
- Represented Laureate Education as lead tax advisor in Brazil on the sale of several universities to Anima Educacional for BRL 4.1 billion (2021).
- Advised Eastman Chemical Group on the disposition of a tire additive business line in Brazil to OneRock Partners in 2021.
- Advised A.J. Gallagher on the acquisition of the Willis Re assets in Brazil in 2021.
- LL.M. in Banking, Corporations and Finance Law, Fordham University School of Law, 2012
- Survey on International U.S Taxation, New York University School of Law, 2004
- Introduction to U.S Legal System, Harvard University, School of Law, 2002
- The Legal 500 Latin America
2022 - Recommended, Brazil Tax Advisory
Clients say, "Campos Mello Advogados' tax consulting team has as its main characteristic its client-centered work. In fact, the work developed by partners Alex Jorge, Rosana Jayme and Victor Kampel is highly technical, and delivered in a simple and objective way."
"Alex Jorge has extensive experience in advising multinational companies in the challenges inherent to their operation in Brazil. Always accessible and objective, he commands a team of highly qualified professionals, focused on clear and simple answers to complex problems."
- LACCA: 2019
- Análise Advocacia
Excellence and Relationship
Campos Mello Advogados was the first full-service Brazilian law firm to consistently use the NPS (Net Promoter Score) method. In the first year using the method, the firm achieved grade 83.
- Co-author, "Do Treaties or The New CFC Rules Prevail in Brazil," Tax Notes Int'l, vol 76, no 9, 2014
- Co-author, "Cost-Sharing Arrangements in Brazil," Practical Latin American Tax Strategies, vol 16, no 7, 2013
- Co-author, "Recent Developments of FATCA in Brazil," Latin American Law & Business Report, vol 21, no 3, 2013
- Speaker, "Brazil Tax Update," organized by the SE Michigan TEI Chapter, International Tax Day, April 25, 2013
- Speaker, "Key Tax Structuring Considerations," organized by the Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce in New York, September 2011
- Speaker, "XI International Direct Selling Conference," Toronto, on a panel discussing the legal and tax implications of the Independent Contractor in the Direct Selling business, Summer 2002
Memberships And Affiliations
- IFA (Brazilian chapter ABFD)
- Member of the Ethics Council of the Brazilian Direct Selling Association (ABEVD).
- Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce in New York