Tessa Straathof is an associate who works in international dispute resolution, including complex cross-border litigation and arbitration. Tessa has acted for international companies relating to disputes across a broad range of sectors with a focus on commercial, fraud and shipping disputes.
- A Russian conglomerate in a BVI litigation arising from a dispute over a multi-million dollar joint venture involving assets in the energy sector, including responding to applications for freezing orders over assets worth several billion US dollars (2018 onwards).
- A Seychelles company in LMAA arbitration relating to damage to its superyacht on negligent discharge by the Carrier (2022 onwards).
- An Asian oil and gas company in English civil proceedings relating to the detention of a vessel in port for alleged failures to comply with customs formalities, with alleged damages of circa USD7m (2020 onwards).
- A Canadian investment company in London-based LMAA arbitration relating their investment in two tanker vessels and enforcing against charterers for breaches of charterparty, with a claim of circa USD11m (2020 onwards).
- A Russian financial services company in the context of settlement of a GBP24bn dispute across jurisdictions, including Russia and England, and in subsequent ongoing post-settlement issues and disputes (2019-2021).
- An international art dealer to successfully obtain an injunction and later default judgment in the English Court against a defendant alleged to have misappropriated a co-owned artwork worth USD 1.8m (2019 onwards).
- A government in arbitral proceedings under UNCITRAL Rules regarding breach of contract claims of a former contractor (2018-2019).
- Investor groups regarding contentious issues in the GBP14bn liquidation of a private equity fund and claims estimated at GBP2.5bn (2018-2019).
- A UK PLC and its foreign subsidiary in the successful defence of a class action on jurisdictional grounds before the Court of Appeal (2018).
- A space operations company on the termination of its cooperation agreement with a satellite production company in the context of alleged breaches of contract (2019).
- Investment funds in a high-value fraud litigation before the Commercial Court regarding the misappropriation of USD375m of investments on internet based trading (2017).
- University of Law, MSc LPC in Business, Law and Management, 2016
- Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, LLM International Business Law, cum laude, 2015
- BPP, Graduate Diploma in Law, 2014
London School of Economics and Political Science, BSc International Relations, 2013
- Rowe & ors v Ingenious Media Holdings: the importance of capitalised funders, 1 February 2021
- Proposed practice direction for witness evidence could have unintended consequences, 19 October 2020
- A successful s67 challenge: Silence did not confer authority to enter into an arbitration agreement, 7 July 2020
- The Court of Appeal broadens the Courts' powers in aid of arbitration, 7 April 2020
- Acquisition interrupted? The potential impact of nascent class actions on mergers and acquisitions, 1 April 2020
- Witness Evidence Working Group report, 8 January 2020
- 2016 - 2018, Trainee Solicitor, DLA Piper
- 2018 - Present, Associate, DLA Piper