Michiel Coenraads handles disputes across the globe with a strong focus on the Energy & Natural Resources and Industrials sectors.
His focus areas include international arbitration, shareholder and securities litigation, directors’ liability, joint venture disputes and contentious M&A. Michiel also assists clients in the rapidly changing ESG space, including climate change and Business and Human Rights issues. Michiel is the International Co-Chair of the firm’s ESG Disputes group.
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Michiel worked at Allen & Overy and Stibbe (Amsterdam and New York). In 2015 Michiel was appointed a deputy district judge.
Michiel is a member of the ICC Committee on Arbitration and ADR, a board member of the Dutch chapter of the Business & Human Rights Lawyer’s association and a member of the Corporate Disputes Committee of the Dutch Arbitration Association. He is an editor of a leading corporate law journal in the Netherlands. He regularly publishes and speaks at conferences, and is a guest lecturer at executive training courses for supervisory directors.
- INSEAD Executive Programme, 2008
- Groningen University, Company Law, 2004
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Legal 500: "Michiel Coenraads leads the team. He is super commercial and internationally focused. He seems to know everybody and really understands what keeps the client awake at night. His technical qualities and hearing presence are outstanding and he is quick in grasping issues and creative in brokering a solution or fighting for his client’s interests. He has built a strong team which includes Jorian Hamster, Anne Josephus Jitta, and many others. They have sector knowledge and it’s a fun and energetic team."
- Chambers: "He is a very smart and client-oriented litigation lawyer."
- Legal 500 2023: "Michiel Coenraads is really good. Smart and quick thinker, great with client service delivery. Michiel can speak to our GC and CEO with confidence, and he is really good in an international environment. Great guy to work with! He is very good and leads a big team of talented associates, including Jorian Hamster and Tom Hautvast’’