An effective approach to debt restructuring
From taking action on climate change to dealing with the consequences of COVID-19 and the war in Ukraine, sovereign states face significant challenges. We have substantial experience of advising sovereign states and state-owned entities around the world on debt restructuring and financing matters.
As a global firm, our advice is integrated and comprehensive. And our highly experienced lawyers are based in all the global financial hubs – including those in emerging markets.
“In times of uncertainty, we’ll provide sound advice to ensure you overcome current – and future – challenges. ”
Our work spans debt buy-backs, conversion of debt techniques, consent solicitations, exchange offers, extension and reprofiling of claims, sovereign wealth funds, new financing techniques including blue bonds and green bonds, litigation and arbitration, and stakeholder management.
We have a strong presence in government affairs and broad experience advising on parliamentary and public policy. And our Environmental, Social and Governance practice is highly developed and well-connected. For example, we were Legal Provider to COP26, the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference, in Glasgow in 2021 and we’re now actively engaged in supporting the objectives of COP27.
In times of uncertainty, we’ll provide sound advice to ensure you overcome current – and future – challenges.
Republic of Argentina
- Counsel to bondholders in the USD62 billion sovereign debt exchange of the Republic of Argentina consummated in 2020
- Counsel to Barclays Capital as global coordinator in the design and execution of the SEC-registered USD18.7 billion sovereign debt exchange of the Republic of Argentina
- Counsel to UBS in the restructuring of USD80 billion of bonds of the Republic of Argentina
Province of Buenos Aires (PBA)
- Counsel to PBA in its USD7.2+ billion debt restructuring transaction
- Counsel to Citigroup for the 2002/2006 debt restructuring for an amount of approximately USD3.3 billion
- Counsel to PBA in the issuance of USD500 million and liability management transaction for an amount of USD399 million in the international capital markets in 2015
Province of Mendoza
- Counsel to the Province in the USD200 million debt restructuring of domestic bonds (ongoing)
- Counsel to the Province in the USD590 million debt restructuring transaction closed in October 2020
- Deal counsel to the Province and JP Morgan in 2003 and 2004 in the debt restructuring for USD250 million due 2007 and the issuance of new bonds due 2018, including related litigation
Province of Chubut
Counsel to the Province in the USD650 million debt restructuring transaction closed in December 2020
Province of Salta
Counsel to the Province in the USD350 million debt restructuring transaction closed in February 2021