Tudor Nedelea BAPartner
Tudor Nedelea practices in the area of tax, having an extensive experience over a wide array of industries, including highly regulated sectors that brought an additional level of complexity (such as pharmaceuticals, energy, food and beverages), retail, advertising and media.
He has been involved in complex tax structuring projects, designing state of the art investment structures for multinational companies.
During his career spanning over nineteen years, he has built experience in both Romanian and international taxation, following his involvement in complex assignments such as: tax optimisation/transaction structuring of mergers and acquisitions, business restructuring schemes and tax due diligence projects. Tudor has a significant contribution to building a dedicated cross-practice healthcare sector team in Romania, developing an excellent understanding of how businesses operate and how the regulatory and commercial issues affect them. He has increased as well the flexibility of the cross-practice approach involving a group of experienced litigators specialized in taxation matters, including tax litigation leading to potential criminal offences and fiscal litigation.
- Assisting a global, science-led biopharmaceutical company in preparing and submitting a court action against the tax authorities decision not to refund VAT incurred by the company in relation with acquisitions performed for its car fleet.
- Assisting a global digital commerce provider in preparing the challenge against the tax authorities' assessment.
- Assisting a pharma producer in preparing two tax challenge against the tax assessment decision, as the client's local marketing entity has been subject to an assessment from the Romanian tax authorities.
- Assisting a chemical company providing solutions, applications and products for the agricultural on a day to day tax related issues, being in contact both with local representatives of the company (i.e., local General Manager and Finance Manager), as well as the representatives of the group in Ireland.
- Assisting a waste recovery and recycling company in identifying the method for changing the business model so as to be able to continue to operate in Romania further to the new tax legislation requirements.
- Assisting a subcontractor of the US Navy forces in Romania, with the recovery of the VAT invoiced by its suppliers, in negotiations with our client's subcontractors to correct the invoices and issue new ones, without VAT, drafting letter for the subcontractors and for the Romanian tax authorities.
- Assisting an Israeli bank with assignment of the loan portfolio from the Romanian entity to an Israeli entity including withholding tax implications related to such assignment and to the subsequent payments by Romanian clients following the assignment, review of the assignment agreement from a tax perspective, as well as tax assistance with respect to the appointment of the Romanian entity as the agent for servicing the loans, presenting the tax consequences arising following this appointment (permanent establishment risk, allocation of profits to PE, withholding tax if no PE is registered). Performed, for an international hospitality company, an in-depth analysis of the specific legislation, trying to discover similarities and differences between the Specific Tax and the Corporate Income Tax and the applicability to the specific case at hand.
- Assisting a global healthcare company during tax audit, lengthy and challenging process, considering the focus of the Romanian tax authorities as regards pharma sector, as well as the significant VAT amount claimed for refund by the company from the state budget.
- Assisting an Italian fashion company with the preparation of the Transfer Pricing File for the local subsidiary.
- Academy of Economic Studies, Faculty of Finance and Banking, B.A. in Economics, 2001
- Ranked Band 2 For Tax Consultants by Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Ranked Leading individual for Tax by Legal 500, 2020
- Tudor is highly skilled in international taxation and is recognized as such by leading directories, clients seeing him as “more than a consultant, he is regarded as a member of our team” and consider that “his deep knowledge of business and his integrated approach to projects ensures the high quality of his advice; he provides an analysis from multiple perspectives.” Clients praise him for “being able to provide practical and tailored solutions basically on the spot.”
- May 2016 - present: DLA Piper Romania, Partner
- August 2010 - April 2016: DLA Piper Romania, Tax Director
- October 2000 - July 2010: International Consultancy Firm, from Tax Consultant to Tax Senior Manager
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of Romanian Chamber of Tax Consultants
- Member of the UK Association of Chartered Certified Accountants