Felipe Bahamondez is the partner who leads the Regulated Markets and Antitrust practice group at DLA Piper Chile. He focuses his practice in the diverse areas of Energy, Natural Resources & Natural Gas, as well as, Regulatory Law, Insurance, Antitrust and Corporate Law, having participated in his professional life in transactions, such as, the design and legal implementation of the first gas pipeline in Chile, development and advising of natural gas projects and LNG terminals representing diverse clients, development of energy projects especially Renewable Energies, including solar projects, numerous financing operations, mergers & acquisitions, both on behalf of local and multinational companies. Also, he has advised multiple clients on insurance regulatory issues.
Felipe has a broad experience in regulatory matters and antitrust. National and foreign companies have asked for his counsel on matters related to litigation before the Competition Tribunal (TDLC) for example representing Uber in an antitrust case started by taxi drivers. He also represents clients before the FNE in investigations and merger control procedures. In his role, Bahamondez conducts and plans the best strategies in our clients’ interests.
CarbonFree Technology Inc: The Firm has been actively advising the client during all stages of development of photovoltaic power plants, from the due diligence processes in a greenfield stage until the acquisition, execution of the EPC and O&M agreement, and the operation stage of the power plants. We have performed due diligence in over 60 projects, and we have counselled the client in the acquisition of mor than 40 power photovoltaic plants in the last years, many of them are now operating, comprised of approximately 360 megawatts (MW) of generation.
SUSI Partners A.G.: Advised the client, a Swiss energy transition fund that conducts sustainable energy infrastructure investments, in the execution of a Framework Agreement with Biwo Renovables S.A. for the purchase, development, construction, operation and maintenance of a portfolio of power plants, including PV solar and wind power plants, for approximately 243.6 MW in total capacity.
BEE SUDAMERICA S.L.: Legal advice in the formalization of a joint venture between Blue Elephant and oEnergy, for the development, construction, financing, debt structuring, operation and maintenance of 12 photovoltaic plants totaling approximately 120 MWp.
Sky Solar Holding Ltd.: Advice in due diligence processes for the acquisition of photovoltaic plants and transmission line and consultation in the negotiation of purchase contracts.
Agrofruta S.A.: Advise client, an energy consumer, in the transfer from a system of regulated prices to one of free price. Advise on the review and negotiation of contracts signed with Engie and Enel.
ENAP: Advise the client in the analysis of the modification to the Natural Gas Supply Contract, and the obligation to declare supply conditions in accordance with national regulations.
EDF Energies Nouvelles: Assist with due diligence and acquisition of several SPVs of Laberinto Este and Laberinto Oeste solar projects in the north of Chile from Ingenostrum.
Total/Sunpower: Advise in the due diligence of four solar power plants in the north of Chile owned by Spanish Solventus.
Gasoducto GasAndes: Design and implementation of a bid procedure for a gas compressor station.
Fundación Chile: Assist in the sale of Solar Chile to First Solar Inc. – the first Chilean deal in the solar power industry and the first deal in which a local developer was acquired.
Uber: Defense of Uber Chile SpA and Uber International Holding B.V. before the TDLC in a lawsuit filed by a union of taxi drivers against the clients and other ridesharing app firms.
American Tower Corporation: Advice client on the purchased of 30,722 telecommunication towers from Telefónica Group in Europe (Germany and Spain) and Latin America (Brazil, Chile, Argentina and Peru).
Uber - Cornershop: Advice both ¬clients and participated as joint counsel on the acquisition of a majority stake in Cornershop by Uber Technologies, Inc., for a value of USD $456 million - Awarded “Deal of the Year 2021” in the category “private M&A” by Latin Lawyer.
Regulatory and Public Law
Komatsu: Advice on issues related to claims in administrative bids
BASF: Advice on issues related to public and regulatory bids
Universidad de Chile, Law Degree (J.D.) 1991
Harvard University, LL.M., (Master of laws) 1993
Universidad de Chile,Diploma in Regulation & Competition 2007
Pontificia Universidad Católica,Diploma in Competition Law, Facultad de Derecho, 2008Universidad de Chile, Diploma in Environmental Regulation, 2010
- LL.M., Harvard Law School 1993
- Diploma in Regulation & Competition, Facultad de Economía, Universidad de Chile 2007
The Legal 500 Latin America
2022 – 2023 – Recommended, Chile Competition and Antitrust
2022 - 2023 - Recommended, Chile Data Privacy
2022 - 2023 - Recommended, Chile Energy and Natural Resources: Electricity and Hydrocarbon, Oil and Gas
2022 - 2023 - Recommended, Chile Projects and Infrastructure
2022 -2023 - Recommended, Chile Public Law
2019- 2023 - Recommended, Chile Competition and Antitrust
2018-21 - Recommended, Chile Projects and Infrastructure
2017-21 - Recommended, Chile Energy and Natural Resources: Electricity and Hydrocarbon, Oil and Gas
2017-21 - Recommended, Chile Public Law
2021 - Recommended, Chile Data Privacy
IFLR 1000 (Energy 2019 – 2023, Natural Resources 2019 – 2023, Capital Markets 2019 – 2023, Banking 2019 – 2023, Financial Services Regulatory 2019 – 2023, Restructuring and Insolvency 2019 – 2023, M&A 2019 – 2023)
Latin Lawyer 250 (Energy - Highly Recommended 2019 – 2024, Antitrust & Competition - Highly Recommended 2019 – 2024, International Counsel - Energy 2024)
Best Lawyers (Corporate and M&A 2019 – 2020 – 2021 - 2022, Energy 2019 – 2020 – 2021 - 2022, Natural Resources 2019 – 2020 – 2021 - 2022, Oil and Gas Law 2022)
Leaders League (Merger Control – Recommended 2020 – 2021 - Highly Recommended 2022, Competition Antitrust & Investigations - Recommended 2021, Innovation, Technology and Telecoms: Telecommunications law – Highly Recommended 2021, Intellectual Property: Technology – Highly Recommended 2021)Latin Lawyer National (Energy 2019 - 2020, Antitrust – competition 2019- 2020)
Círculo Polar, 2019
The Nature Conservancy, 2018
- "Ley REP: Catálogo de productos que se consideran “Envases” May, 2022
- Author, Chilean chapter of the book Renewable Energy, in Getting the Deal Through, 2020 (in English)
- The energy transition and renewable energy in Chile: Top points for foreign investors, 8 October 2020
- Distributed generation: A rising energy market in Chile, 16 September 2020
- Author, Chilean chapter of the book Renewable Energy, in Getting the Deal Through, 2018-2020 (in English)
- Author, Chilean chapter of the book Public Procurement, in Getting the Deal Through, 2019 (in English)
- Author, Chilean chapter of the book Gas Regulation, in Getting the Deal Through 2011-2012-2013- 2016 (in English)
- Author, "Sentencias Destacadas 2007," Instituto Libertad y Desarrollo, Santiago, 2008 (in Spanish), and "Sentencias Destacadas 2008, "Instituto Libertad y Desarrollo, Santiago, 2009 (in Spanish)
- Author, "Los Límites del Arbitraje Internacional: Algunas Consideraciones Respecto al Orden Público y la Arbitrabilidad," Actas de las II Jornadas de Derecho de la Empresa, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 2006 (in Spanish)
- Author, "Sentencias Destacadas 2006," Instituto Libertad y Desarrollo, Santiago, 2007 (in Spanish)
- Author, "Integración Vertical en el Mercado de Gas Natural en Chile," Revista de Derecho Administrativo Económico, Vol. N°2, 2003 (in Spanish)
- Author "El Rol de los Abogados en los Procesos de Due Diligence en la Compra de Empresas," Revista Chilena de Derecho, Vol. 29 N°3, 2002 (in Spanish)
- Author "El Sistema de Acceso Abierto y el Mercado del Gas Natural en Chile," Revista de Derecho Administrativo Económico, Vol. III/ N°1-Enero-Junio 2001 (in Spanish)
- Author, "La Prelación de Créditos," Editorial Jurídica de Chile, 1993 (in Spanish)
Memberships And Affiliations
- Chilean Bar Association (Colegio de Abogados de Chile A.G.)
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association