Hawwi W. Edao is a commercial real estate attorney based in the firm’s Northern Virginia office. She is well-versed in navigating the complex legal landscape of zoning and land use and is skilled at finding creative solutions to complex problems. She is known for her ability to effectively communicate with clients, stakeholders, and government officials. Her practice focuses on land use and zoning matters involving all aspects of the development approval process, including rezoning applications and special exceptions. She represents major developers and national, regional and local companies in a variety of land use matters, including transit-oriented, mixed-use projects and residential, office, retail, industrial, and large data center projects. Hawwi also has experience assisting clients on complex easement agreements, creation of condominium and subdivision structures, and homeowners’ association documents.
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Hawwi was an associate at a large international law firm, where she gained valuable experience in construction litigation. Hawwi has experience representing domestic and international general contractors, construction managers, sureties, and other construction professionals in the United States and abroad in litigation, arbitration, and mediation of construction and design defect claims, insurance claims, surety bond claims, and related matters.
Hawwi also served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Robert N. Scola, Jr. of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. During her time in law school, Hawwi served as a student attorney in the Children and Youth Law Clinic at the University of Miami School of Law, where she represented children in foster care and former foster youth in civil legal matters concerning dependency, education, and immigration.
- Participating in major development projects adjacent to the Tysons-to-Dulles Metro Rail Line's 11 planned stations and the US $5 billion Silver Line Metrorail extension.
- Assisting Comstock Companies in the redevelopment of a 2-million-square-foot mixed-use project.
- Handling the entitlement process for numerous data centers in and around Ashburn (Loudoun County), Virginia.
- "County Board Approval Expected in June for Data Center Campus at Fomer AOL HQ Site," The Loudoun Newsletter, May 30, 2023
- "AREP Secures Planning Commission Support for Ashburn Data Center; Files Plans for Another in Arcola," The Loudoun Newsletter, March 23, 2023
- "Two Data Centers, 450 Multifamily Units Planned Near Rivana, Waterside Sites," The Loudoun Newsletter, August 8, 2022
- "Comstock unveils plans for next massive Reston development," Washington Business Journal, February 15, 2022
Memberships And Affiliations
- Urban Land Institute
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties
- The Florida Bar, Young Lawyers Section
- American Bar Association