Eric M. RobertsPartner
Eric Roberts is a trial lawyer who has appeared in federal and state courts across the country. Eric focuses on the defense of multi-state consumer protection class actions involving warranty, false advertising, fraud and product defect claims, as well as claims arising under federal statutes such as the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and Fair Credit Reporting Act. He also has handled business and transactional disputes, along with a number of significant land use cases. Additionally, Eric has extensive experience managing crossborder teams conducting internal investigations and antitrust assessments.
Eric has represented companies, both public and private, in the pharmaceutical, food, manufacturing, consumer goods, technology, telecommunications and energy industries.
- Trial victory on behalf of a portfolio rail car company for one of the world's largest conglomerates enforcing a guaranty following the breach of a railcar lease. Client was awarded back rent along with other costs related to the return of the railcars
- Defended a Fortune 50 company in defense of a high-profile real estate dispute. After a several day evidentiary proceeding, the plaintiff's request for a preliminary injunction was denied. The client was ultimately granted summary judgment as to all matters in a complete defense victory
- Represented the condemnor in an eminent domain jury trial in Will County, Illinois
- Defended a Fortune 500 automotive manufacturer in a putative class action alleging consumer fraud and warranty claims that certain model vehicles are defective because exhaust fumes may enter the passenger compartment. Obtained complete dismissal of all claims
- Defended two national suppliers of mulch defending against two putative nationwide class actions alleging fraud, violation of virtually every state's consumer protection laws and unjust enrichment claims regarding alleged misrepresentations regarding the volume of mulch in bags sold to consumers. Obtained complete dismissal of one manufacturer and resolved claims against other manufacturer prior to class certification
- Defended marketing and sales organization in putative class action brought under the Fair Credit Reporting Act alleging that the defendants obtained potential customers’ consumer reports without a permissible purpose
- Defended a healthcare management organization in a putative class action brought under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and state consumer protection laws alleging that the defendants sent unsolicited faxes
- Defended property management company in a putative class action brought under state consumer protection laws challenging fees charged to residential accounts
- Defended manufacturer in a putative class action alleging breach of warranty, product liability, negligence, and consumer fraud/false advertising in connection with the sale of car products
- Defended a leading global healthcare company defending against breach of contract claims alleging hundreds of millions in damages for alleged failure to pay royalty and milestone payments from a topical cream to treat osteoarthritis. Prevailed on Daubert motion striking expert’s opinion that plaintiff suffered hundreds of millions of dollars in damages
- Defended claims relating to the failed sale of a former steel mill in West Virginia. The client was ultimately granted summary judgment as to all matters in a complete defense victory
- Defended a hedge fund, its general partner, and certain officers of the company defending against claims by investors that the fund defrauded them into investing in/around the time of the 2008/2009 recession. Obtained dismissal of a significant portion of the claims on the pleadings
- Defended an international bakery defending against claims for breach of contract, fraud, and alter ego in connection with the business activities of an eastern European subsidiary. The court dismissed all of the claims in the complaint, and the Illinois Appellate Court affirmed
- Represented a Fortune 50 company in the life sciences sector in a cross-border anti-corruption/anti-bribery investigation involving multiple countries
- J.D., Duke University School of Law
- B.A., Philosophy, Duke University
In 2013, Eric and a team of DLA Piper lawyers submitted an amicus brief on behalf of various community organizations to the Illinois Supreme Court in a case relating to juvenile justice issues.