Peter C. WhitePartner
Global Co-Chair, Media, Sport and Entertainment sector
Peter White has over 25 years of experience in the professional sports business, representing various parties in commercial, development, financing, corporate and M&A transactions, as well as contentious matters, involving the world's major sports leagues, including Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association, the National Football League, the National Hockey League, Major League Soccer, England's Premier League, Spain's La Liga, Italy's Lega Serie A and the Australian Football League.
Over the years, Peter has gained significant experience representing teams, owners, banks, investors and other parties in the development and financing of sports properties, including leagues, clubs, media interests, stadiums, arenas, concessions and related assets.
As Global Co-Chair of the firm's Media, Sport and Entertainment Sector, Peter helps coordinate the firm's financing, M&A, sponsorship, development, major events and disputes practices in this sector around the world and manages significant client relationships.
In particular, Peter has been active in the acquisition, development and financing of the development or redevelopment of stadiums and arenas for prominent teams such as MLB's Braves, Dodgers, Nationals, Cubs, Mets, Twins and Yankees, the NBA's Bucks, Kings, Heat, Magic and Nets, the NFL's Chargers, Vikings, 49ers, Bills, Giants, Jets, Packers, Raiders and Patriots, the NHL's Sabres, Premier League’s Tottenham Hotspur, the Australian Football League and Serie A's AS Roma.
Among the transactions he has led are the financing of a controlling interest in the Chicago Cubs, Wrigley Field and related assets for the Ricketts family; the US Bank Stadium for the Minnesota Vikings, Levis Stadium for the San Francisco 49ers; MetLife Stadium for the New York Giants and New York Jets (Project Finance magazine's North American 2007 Leisure Deal of the Year); the new arena for the Milwaukee Bucks, Golden1 Center for the Sacramento Kings, Barclays Center for the Brooklyn Nets, Amway Center for the Orlando Magic; Citi Field for the New York Mets and the new Yankee Stadium for the New York Yankees (Bond Buyer's 2006 Deal of the Year); SoFi Stadium for the LA Chargers and Target Field for the Minnesota Twins.
- J.D., St. John's University School of Law 1984
- B.A., Adelphi University 1980
- Chambers USA
- Band 2, USA - Nationwide Sports Law (2012-2022)
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Structured Finance: Securitization (2019)
- Leading Lawyer, Sport (2016-2017)
- Recommended, Sport (2015)
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers in America (2023)
- Recognized as a New York Super Lawyer, New York Metro Super Lawyer (2015)
- Named Dealmaker of the Year by American Lawyer
- Media, Sport and Entertainment Intelligence - May 2016, 10 May 2016
- Panelist, "Media Rights and Digital Challengers – A New Ball Game," 2019 Financial Times Business of Football Summit: The Search for Growth and Value in the World's Most Popular Sport, London, England (May 21, 2019)
- Co-Presenter, "Stadium Financing," DLA Piper's Media, Sport and Entertainment Seminar, Stockholm Sweden (November 12, 2018)
- Moderator, "The Convergence of Sports and Technology," 2018 DLA Piper Technology Summit, Menlo Park, California (October 9, 2018)
- Co-Moderator, "The Future of the Beautiful Game: Rights, Reform and Expansion," 2017 CAA World Congress of Sports, Dana Point, California (April 20, 2017)
- Advisor Committee Member, The Vatican's Sport at the Service of Humanity Conference, The Vatican (October 5-7, 2016)
- Co-Moderator, ''Investing in Sports on a Global Scale: Where is the Unrealized Value?'' 2016 CAA World Congress of Sports, Los Angeles, California (April 14, 2016)
- Co-Moderator, "Building Brands Beyond Borders: Turning Sports Properties and Events into Global Entities," 2015 IMG World Congress of Sports, Los Angeles, California (April 9, 2015)
- Presenter, ''Lessons from North America: Stadium & Arena Finance & Revenues,'' The Stadium Business' 3rd Annual Design and Development Summit 2014, Madrid, Spain (October 30, 2014)
- Panelist, "Stadium Financing & Development," Brewer Sports Symposium V, Miami, Florida (April 24, 2014)
- Co-Moderator, "Brazil in the Spotlight: World Cup 2014, Olympics 2016 and What it Means to Sports Business in Brazil and Companies Around the World," 2014 IMG World Congress of Sports, Dana Point, California (March 19, 2014)
- Moderator, "The Emergence of India Professional Sports," US-India Business Council's Sports & Entertainment Conference, New York, New York (October 17, 2013)
- Panelist, "The Law on Stadia In Extra Time," Expo Italia Real Estate, Milan, Italy (June 6, 2013)
- Panelist, "Career in Sports," The Inaugural Cardozo Sports Law Symposium, New York, New York (April 23, 2013)
- Speaker, "Finding Investors for Project Engagement," Russia Stadium Build & Technology Summit, Moscow, Russia (April 12, 2013)
- Co-Moderator, "The Globalization of the Beautiful Game: Building Brands Beyond Borders," 2013 IMG World Congress of Sports, Naples, Florida (April 4, 2013)
- Co-Moderator, "Keep Them Coming Back: The Next Generation Venue Experience," 2012 IMG World Congress of Sports, Dana Point, California (March 21, 2012)
- "Can spring football ever work?" Sports Business Journal, August 12, 2018
- "Keys to sports law success: Hard work, relationships," Sports Business Journal, August 13, 2018
- "Power Players - Outside Counsel," Sports Business Journal, June 27, 2016
My latest insights
DLA Piper partners Peter White, Mark Whitaker and Richard Rubano named to Sports Business...
25 October 2021 .4 minute read