David Ampaw has over 20 years' experience in non-contentious restructuring, insolvency and special situations assignments acting for corporates, clearing banks, international and investment banks, debt, and hedge funds.
He has advised in relation to a number of domestic and cross-border workout assignments taking in transactions in established and emerging markets. He specialises in special situations assignments with complex financing or intercreditor arrangements, including securitisations, first lien/second lien, unitranche and bond, loan structures.
David's practice and expertise extends to advising on NPL trades (single name and portfolios) as well as trading of distressed loans and claim. He is recommended in the Legal 500, 2017 to 2022 (inclusive) and described as “excellent in the funds restructuring space” “excellent at navigating the issues of debt sales” “exceptionally user-friendly, delivering robust and commercial advice in a calm and friendly way.”
David was named 'Diversity Champion' at Turnaround, Restructuring & Insolvency (TRI) Awards 2018, for his engagement in various initiatives both within and outside of the firm. David's work includes working with graduate recruitment, diversity and London People Group teams to build and implement a strategy for increasing ethnic minority representation in the firm. David is partner sponsor of “Mosaic” the UK firms relaunched multicultural diversity network.
Outside the firm he is a mentor on the Black Solicitors Network’s “Career Pathways” programme, a director of the charity the PRIME Commitment, the leading legal social mobility initiative focused on broadening social diversity in the legal industry.
- Advising the senior noteholders in relation to the first restructuring of a whole business securitization (GBP400 million).*
- Advising a key global pharmaceutical client in relation to a pre-packaged purchase of a downstream supplier to secure continuation of production of a pediatric medicine into the European markets.
- Advising in relation to a GBP400 million property disposal of a marquee London property by way of Scheme of Arrangement.
- Advising the sellers in relation to the successful sale of a granular loan portfolio of English and Irish commercial property and ancillary rights with a face value of circa EUR500 million.
- UK CRE Loan Portfolio Sale - advising on sale of circa GBP2 billion loan assets.
- Advising a European Bank in connection with a disposal of circa EUR350 million term loan and IRS exposure in connection with an infrastructure asset.
- Advising a creditor client in relation to the restructuring of one of the largest operators of private hospitals in the UK (GBP2 billion).
- Advising an ad hoc bondholder group in relation to the EUR300 million restructuring of an Southern European shipping group.
- Advising the administrators of the UK branches of a global fashion group and associated Chapter 11 restructuring.
- Advising bonding and guarantee line lenders in relation to the EUR250 financial restructuring of a European industrials group.
- Advising the Loan and Security Agent in the first major use of the Spanish Restructuring Plan procedure.
- Advising on a contested collateral enforcement in relation to EUR40 million margin call transaction.
- College of Law, London, Legal Practice Course, 2000
- London School of Economics and Political Science, LL.B. (Hons), 1999
- Nominated – UK Social Mobility Awards – Champion of the Year 2023
- Powerlist 2018 (most influential persons - legal and professional services)
- Nominated BSN Lawyer of the Year 2017, 2018
- Turnaround Restructuring and Insolvency Awards Diversity Champion, 2018
- "Recommended" Legal 500, 2017-2022
- 2016 to date, Partner, DLA Piper
- 2005 to 2016, Solicitor, Associate and Legal Director, DLA Piper, London (Restructuring Group)
- 2001 to 2005, Trainee, Associate, Magic Circle firm, London and Bangkok
Memberships And Affiliations
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- Prime Commitment (social mobility initiative), Director
- R3 – The Association of Business Recovery Professionals
- INSOL International