João Costa QuintaHe/himPartner
João Costa Quinta is the Co-Head of the Corporate and M&A department and Head of IPT department. He is one of the most respected and recognized lawyers and a central figure in DLA Piper's Portuguese asset management practice. He advises venture capital funds and private equity investors on M&A transactions. He also has notable experience in issues relating to the operation of search funds and privacy matters.
His name has been associated with highly complex and important private equity, corporate governance, and venture capital and M&A operations. João advises all sort of national and international clients in every aspect of their business activities, regardless the sector they are in (eg. technology, telecommunications, healthcare, pharmaceutical, automotive, banking, private equity, venture capital, insurance, consumer goods, oil&gas, online gambling, tourism, luxury brands).
João consistently advises, for more than 20 years, all sort of transactions of M&A (buy-side and sell-side) including the incorporation of several private equity funds, investment funds (regular funds, alternative investment funds and SIFIDE funds).
He has a strong and deep experience in cross border transactions as well as in innovative entrepreneurial projects, and had advised some of the most innovative and high-value start-ups which have emerged in recent years in Portugal, particularly those that flipped abroad (USA and UK).
João is regularly invited to chair the shareholders’ general meetings and is currently chairman of the General Meeting of more than 20 companies.
- Advising Portuguese Bank in a private equity secondary market transaction regarding the sale of the participation units of two venture capital funds and the share capital of a major venture capital company.
- Coordinating a specialized team in the assistance to national and international clients on data protection and cyber security, including advising on GDPR, Cyber Security Law and Cybercrime Law, policy drafting to address the security requirements of GDPR and related laws, internal training and notifications to regulators and affected individuals.
- Advising Private Equity Company on the acquisition of the share capital/assets of a group of companies on the healthcare sector.
- Advising the Portugal's leading venture capitalist within the context of several investment rounds in Portuguese start-up companies developing innovative technology.
- Advising a leading European commercial bank in the acquisition of the assets and liabilities of a Portuguese commercial bank, following a resolution measure applied to the Bank by the Bank of Portugal.
- Advising a listed multinational company in the acquisition of several Portuguese companies.
- Advising a leading global bank with debt restructuring and collateralization of several corporate and individual clients.
- Portuguese Catholic University Law School, Master of Laws (LLM), 2007
- Lusíada University, Law Degree, 1996
- Ranked in Band 2 in Private Equity - Portugal, Chambers & Partners 2022
- Distinguished by Transactional Track Record in the TOP 10 of Portuguese legal advisors, according to the M&A transactions advised in 2017
- 2007 - present, Associate/Partner, DLA Piper ABBC (previously ABBC)
- 1996 - 2007, In-house Lawyer, Repsol YPF Group in Portugal
- 1996 - 1998, Trainee Lawyer, Lisbon based law firm
Memberships And Affiliations
- Admitted to the Portuguese Bar Association
- 2016 - 2020, Vice-President of Sport Lisboa e Benfica
- 2009 - 2016, Supervisory Board of Sport Lisboa e Benfica
- Member of the Consulting Strategic Board of ACEPI (Digital Economy Association)