João Guedes is the Co-Head of Employment and his practice focuses on all aspects of employment law, representing clients in a broad range of industries - banking, insurance, retail, human resources and life sciences - among others.
João has an extensive experience at handling contentious and non-contentious matters, such as lay-off measures, dismissals, collective bargaining agreements, HR compliance projects and outsourcing matters, as well as the employment aspects of corporate transactions.
He's recognised by Clients and in the employment law sector as a notable employment lawyer of his generation with a broad practice. He is regularly an Invited Teacher in post-graduation courses in Labour Law (before ISLA now Universidade Europeia).
- Advising major multinational companies and major national firms on several restructurings, lay off actions and the aftermath matters and issues deriving from such operations.
- Advising an international bank on the transfer and integration of more than 1.000 employees.
- Advising and negotiating the global revision of the Collective Labour Agreement of the Portuguese Communications Regulator and the collective Bargaining Agreement of the Mutual Associations Alliance.
- Advising in a transaction for the acquisition of one of the biggest commercial banks in Portugal by a Spanish banking key group, notably in the labour related issues due diligence and assisting in the acquisition process.
- Advising major multinational companies and major national firms on all labour matters.
- Advising several transactions, in Portugal and abroad, focused on acquisition and restructuring of workforce and on the transfer of undertakings (TUPE) as well.
- Coimbra University Law School, Law Degree, 1994
- Hall of Fame at Employment area by Legal 500
- Recognised in Band 3 by Chambers & Partners in Employment area
- 2006 - present, Partner, DLA Piper ABBC (previously ABBC)
- 1999 - 2006, Associate Lawyer, DLA Piper ABBC (previously ABBC)
- 1996 - 1999, Associate Lawyer, Lisbon based law firm
- 2004 to 2009, Invited Lecturer of Post-Graduation Courses at Universidade Europeia
Memberships And Affiliations
- Portuguese Young Lawyers Association
- Vice president of the Young Lawyers Association of Coimbra (1996-1998)
- Admitted to the Portuguese Bar Association