Richard F. HansPartner
Global Co-Chair, Financial Services sector
Rich Hans leads the firm's Financial Services sector and serves as a trusted advisor to general counsels, boards of directors and executives of our clients seeking solutions to their global issues.
His engagements extend from securities and commercial litigation to representing special committees in internal investigations and derivative litigation.
A Veteran of U.S. Navy, Rich proudly chairs the firm's Veterans and Military Families Resource Group.
- Represented the special committee of a publicly held commercial bank investigating shareholder demands, achieving a highly favorable settlement and resolution of the follow-on derivative litigation
- Obtained dismissal of securities class action brought against Spanish sustainable energy company
- Obtained rare, voluntary dismissal with prejudice of lawsuit brought by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau against clients arising out of activities in the payday lending industry
- Obtained dismissal on forum non conveniens grounds of lawsuit against U.S. parent of a French manufacturer arising out of 2017 Grenfell Tower fire in London
- Defeated action seeking injunctive relief against lenders to a defaulting U.S. energy company, allowing clients to enforce pledged and other contractual rights
- Obtained summary judgment enforcing margin call against defaulting counterparty in commodities dispute
- Obtained dismissal of claims brought in federal court in New York against a UK-based global bank arising out of a dispute relating to the construction and operation of a Tanzanian power plant
- Obtained dismissal of claims brought in federal court in Louisiana against a UK-based global bank arising out of the collapse of the Fletcher Funds
- Successfully represented the Canadian Creditors Committee in the cross-border Nortel Networks bankruptcy allocation trial, securing a landmark judgment ordering modified pro rata allocation
- Successfully resolved, for our client - a leading financial services firm -- a consumer fraud lawsuit brought by the New York Attorney General and various investigations and regulatory inquiries by the DOJ, various State Attorneys General (including New York Martin Act investigations), the OTS and Congressional committees
- J.D., St. John's University 1993
Executive Publications Editor, St. John's Law Review
- B.S., United States Naval Academy 1983
- New York Law Journal
2022 Distinguished Leader
- The Legal 500 United States
2015-16, 2018 - Recommended, Insurance: Advice to Insurers
In 2009, Richard won the Burton Award for Legal Achievement for his co-authored article "Ebb and Flow: The Changing Jurisdictional Tides of Global Litigation," published in the Winter 2008 issue of the New York International Law Review.
Richard has been named a Best Lawyer for Commercial Litigation every year since 2013 and has been named a New York Super Lawyer by Law & Politics, a peer-reviewed publication, every year since 2007.
- In addition to his pro bono representation of Veterans seeking discharge upgrades, Rich served on the Legal Services Corporation's Veterans Task Force, seeking to improve pro bono and other support services for Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Rich serves as pro bono counsel to the Board of Directors of the Greater New York Councils of the Boy Scouts of America
- Rich serves on the Board of Directors of the Legal Aid Society of New York
- In addition to being a Past President of the Board of Directors of the St. John's University School of Law Alumni Association, Rich also sits on the Board of Advisors for the school's Center for Law & Religion
- FTC's $9.8 million settlement holds firm and its principals liable for "consumer protection" violations in transactions with small businesses, 6 May 2021
- Consumer finance regulatory and litigation landscape for 2021, 21 January 2021
- Panelist, New York Legal Market Conference (Sandpiper Partners LLC), December 2021
- Panelist, Leading Law Firms Conference (Sandpiper Partners LLC), December 2020
- Panelist, New York Legal Market Conference (Sandpiper Partners LLC), May 2020
- Panelist, New York Legal Market Conference (Sandpiper Partners LLC), April 2019
- Quoted, "From Military To Law: What Attys Took From Their Service" Law360, November 9, 2020
My latest insights
Regulatory Fall-Out: A discussion on the impact of the recent bank failures
3 October 2023 .1 minute read
Federal Reserve’s report on the Silicon Valley Bank failure calls for a more assertive...
4 May 2023 .6 minute read