Taryn JonesSenior Associate
Taryn Jones advises on a range of regulatory matters including health and safety, environmental and product stewardship, in both the contentious and non-contentious sphere.
Taryn advises on a wide range of product safety laws, from both a UK and EU perspective, including in relation to compliance with applicable legislation, labelling requirements, and obligations placed on manufacturers and importers. She has also provided strategic advice to clients faced with carrying out product recalls in a number of jurisdictions.
Taryn has also assisted in defending companies in prosecutions brought by regulators, including the Health and Safety Executive and Local Authorities, for breaches of health and safety legislation.
She also works on corporate and real estate transactions, carrying out due diligence on health and safety and environmental matters, as well as negotiating contractual protection for such matters.
- Advising a food manufacturing client in relation to an investigation into its health and safety procedures at one of its production sites. We worked with the client to produce a written statement under caution, which is being considered by the local authority.
- Advising a technology company in relation to an investigation following an incident involving a contractor. We worked with the client to produce a written statement under caution, which the local authority is considering as part of its investigation.
- Advising a global client on the effectiveness of health and safety policies and procedures in place at its manufacturing sites. We also provided training to the client, in 4 different continents, on investigation protocols to follow in the event of an employee accident.
- Advising an international client in the technology sector, conducting a product packaging review and advising on mandatory labelling requirements in the UK and EU, including serial numbers and address requirement, and the requirement and process for CE marking.
- Advising a UK distributor of computer equipment on the specific roles and obligations of various actors within the supply chain, including manufacture, importer and authorised representative, as well as labelling requirements, post-Brexit.
- Advising a US based startup company in respect of steps that were required to be taken to introduce a new product to the EU market, including the requirements in relation to testing and certification under various EU product safety laws, and practical steps that need to be taken in the various entities in the supply chain.
- Advising a multi-jurisdictional client in relation to product safety concerns over its products. We provided advice on compliance requirements for its food product, including advice on when a product recall is required and the need to make mandatory notification to competent authorities. This matter involved coordinating the advice of 40 different jurisdictions on this topic and providing a comprehensive overview to the client on the differing requirements across the jurisdictions.
- Advising a client in the construction sector in respect of a product recall, advising on the requirement to notify the competent authorities in a number of different jurisdictions, after it discovered a technical non-compliance with some lighting products it had placed on the market.
- University of Law, Birmingham, Legal Practice Course, 2014
- University of Birmingham, LLB for Graduates, 2013
- University of Birmingham, BA Sociology, 2010
2014-2016: Trainee Solicitor, DLA Piper, Birmingham (Litigation and Regulatory, Real Estate and Finance)