Radu Balas practices in the area of litigation and regulatory, being highly appreciated by the legal directories and described as a “a good litigator, with a commercial understanding.” and a “very proactive” lawyer who “doesn't hesitate to ask questions” and who is “very fact-oriented”.
Radu’s extensive knowledge and involvement in major dispute resolution projects have been recognized by the Client Choice Awards 2014, Radu being nominated the exclusive winner of the Litigation category for Romania.
His recent experience includes, inter alia, advising both domestic and international companies in public procurements disputes, corporate governance disputes, labour law disputes, contract liability disputes, intellectual property administrative and court proceeding for recovery of IP rights, administrative disputes as well as international and domestic arbitration.
- Advising a major Asian industrial conglomerate in what regards the recovery of approx. EUR200m investment by pursuing all enforcement efforts possible as well as any other related civil and criminal routes. While we started by providing a full-picture analysis of the current situation in Romania, our mandate now implies a full-range area of services: from representation before the Romanian courts of law (at this point there are 5 court files but we estimate over 15 to be initiated) to substantial advice on tax and criminal matters. We put specific emphasis on providing a thorough input on all tactical aspects at hand, supporting the client’s efforts to assess the situation from Romania while also dealing with all additional mandates arising from our client activity’s here. The team involved is also comprised of DLA Piper Seoul and DLA Piper Bucharest, with the first ones providing a one-stop service to the client, while the Romanian side handles the mandates on which we are instructed by the client.
- Representing a long-standing company in the energy sector in matters related to the recovery of approximately EUR45m invested to the construction and operation of photovoltaic plants in Romania. We have been closely monitoring the entire enforcement process, providing full-service assistance on all matters (including assistance and representation in over 10 court files related to these enforcements) and advice on tactical issues. The enforcements involve both assets and shares, combining corporate issues with civil and commercial aspects. We have managed to recover significant amounts and have dismissed the majority of the application to stay the enforcements up to this point. Our mandate implied a close understanding of the energy and green certificate markets while we also provided close assistance to the client throughout negotiations and structuring of potential deals on the energy market assets. There is a mixed team involved on the project, with both DLA Piper Seoul and Bucharest working closely to provide the client with a 24/7 assistance.
- Assisting and representing a design and consultancy company in relation to possible corruption offences being committed by one of the employees of its affiliate in Romania.
- Assisting and representing a leading digital commerce provider in relation to the embezzlement by an employee together with fraud and forgery committed by the same employee.
- Representing a security solutions based on advanced technologies company in an international arbitral proceedings against a local procurement public entity, arising in connection with the production and delivery of military defence systems.
- Advising and representing a significant real estate developer against two well-known NGOs in several litigations in relation to the suspension and annulment of a building permit and a Zonal Urban Plan regarding a residential project in Tineretului area.
- Assisting in front of the National Office for Gambling and representing in courts of law customers of a major gambling group in more than 300 court files registered all over Romania.
- Defending a domestic e-commerce platform against a multimillion claim for damages raised by a natural person. The claimant alleges to have incurred moral damages following a series of columns published by a local online journal as well as by a press release given by the client.
- Defending a real estate investor against a claim for annulment of a construction permit raised by several claimants. The litigation involved matters related to construction law standards and regulations, such as neighbouring limits, shadow and noise studies or transparency requirements.
- Assisting and representing a global manufactures of toys in a criminal procedure having as object the infringing of the client’s intellectual property rights in Romania, as a result of a Romanian company importing, offering and selling counterfeit products.
- Bucharest University & WIPO Worldwide Academy, Post-university studies of intellectual property law, 2005
- University of Bucharest, Faculty of Law, LL.B., 2001
- Ranked Band 4 for Dispute Resolution by Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Mention for Dispute Resolution and TMT Gambling law by Legal 500, 2020
- “The best litigators in Romania, as seen by Chambers Europe 2018. Who are the practitioners in the Dispute Resolution practice appreciated by clients”
- May 2017 – to date: DLA Piper Romania, Partner
- May 2013 – April 2017: DLA Piper Romania, Counsel
- March 2009 - April 2013: DLA Piper Romania, Senior Associate
- 2007-09: Romanian Law Firm, Senior Associate
- 2004-06: Romanian Law Firm, Associate
- 2004: Personal Law Office, Partner
- 2001-03: International law Firm, Junior Associate
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Bucharest Bar
- Member of the National Union of Romanian Bars
- Licensed industrial property counsel with the Romanian State Office for Patents and Trademarks (OSIM) - trademarks and industrial designs