Andrew Smith is recognised in the market as a leading litigator, advising on complex and high-value commercial and corporate disputes, with particular experience in complex M&A/transactional claims, company law and shareholder/joint venture disputes. Andrew is joint UK lead for the firm's international Corporate Disputes group and his work frequently includes cross-border and international disputes.
He also focuses on contractual and product liability claims, commercial defamation, civil fraud and Judicial Review in a commercial context. Cases are frequently international in nature, and often involve applications for injunctions or similar relief. Andrew's work covers a wide range of sectors, with a focus on private equity, retail, technology, manufacturing and energy.
Areas of experience
- Corporate and company law disputes, including shareholder disputes, transactional disputes, warranty claims and joint venture disputes.
- Electricity and gas disputes.
- Contractual disputes and product liability claims.
- Enforcement of restrictive covenants.
- High Court injunctions, including worldwide freezing orders.
- Claimant professional negligence actions against accountants, solicitors, valuers.
- Acting for a private equity firm on a highly involved and complex GBP100 million shareholder dispute involving claims of unfair prejudice, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud.
- Acting for a big six energy supplier, dealing with contractual and commercial disputes including a substantial claim in relation to a disputed contract which involved an analysis of electricity pricing models, and advice in relation to sensitive outstanding contracts.
- Acting for a UK accountancy firm in bringing a claim against an employee who had defrauded substantial sums from clients over a period of years. This included obtaining a worldwide freezing order, followed by judgment and subsequent enforcement proceedings.
- Representing a venture capital firm on various multi-million pound post-M&A claims for breach of warranty, covenant, earn-out disputes, misrepresentation and fraud.
- Acting for a US-based shareholder in parallel court and arbitration proceedings in the UK and US.
- Advising a global plastics manufacturing business in relation to the defence of a multi-million pound product liability claim.
- Representing an international chemical manufacturer in relation to a high value dispute arising from the misuse of their confidential formulae by competitors.
- Acting on a number of applications for urgent High Court injunctive relief, ranging from global freezing orders to enforcement of restrictive covenants.
- University Of Sheffield, BA Law, 1997
- Nottingham Law School, LPC, 1998
In Chambers 2019, Andrew is described as being a "very straightforward, unfussy and gives practical rather than esoteric advice in a way which is readily understood by all."
My latest insights
Johnson v Eastlight: Another important judgment on de minimis threshold in data protection...
17 November 2021 .12 minute read