Pamela Bechtel HwangOf Counsel
Dr. Pamela Bechtel focuses on all aspects of US and foreign patent prosecution in biological sciences, pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
Dr. Bechtel has experience in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications relating to proteins, antibodies, protein fusion molecules, peptides, antisense molecules, diagnostics, DNA, small molecules, stem cells, antibody and protein engineering technology and antibody manufacturing processes. She also has experience assisting clients in patentability assessments, due diligence matters, infringement analysis, freedom to operate analysis, patent validity analysis, inventorship analysis and development of IP strategies. Dr. Bechtel also has experience in litigation support and negotiating agreements.
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law 2007
- Ph.D., Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Maryland 1998
- B.S., Biochemistry, Pennsylvania State University 1993
- US Pat. No. 7,723,487, Method for Purifying Cancer Specific Nuclear Antigen; Malkas, L., Hickey, R., Bechtel, P., Park, M., Hoelz, D., Tomic, D. and Schnaper, L.
- US Pat. No. 7,294,471, Method for Purifying Cancer Specific Nuclear Antigen; Malkas, L., Hickey, R., Bechtel, P., Park, M., Hoelz, D., Tomic, D. and Schnaper, L.
- US Pat. No. 7,238,533, Personal Illicit Drug Detection; Legge, R., Hopson, T., Maracas, G., and Bechtel, P.
- US Pat. App. No. 20080299042, Membrane Associated Molecules, Bechtel, P., Daniels, M., McLachlan, K, Zhai, Y., Colson, B. and O’Brien, N.
- US Pat. App. No. US 20060073477. Altered DNA Synthesome Components as Biomarkers for Malignancy. Malkas, H., Hickey, R. and Bechtel, P.
- PCT Pub. No. WO 1999/16469. Altered DNA Synthesome Components as Biomarkers for Malignancy. Malkas, H., Hickey, R., Sekowski, J. and Bechtel, P.
Before joining DLA Piper, Dr. Bechtel worked at Biogen Idec, Inc. for seven years as a patent agent and patent attorney. She also worked at Biogen Idec for two years as a scientist in the Molecular Oncology department. Prior to working at Biogen Idec, Dr. Bechtel worked for two years at Motorola Life Sciences in the Protein Microarray group.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- California Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Association
- San Diego Intellectual Property Association