Michael Styczen P.Eng.Counsel
Michael Styczen is a counsel in the firm’s Calgary office, practising corporate and commercial law in the energy and renewables sector.
Michael specializes in commercial transactions in the energy and renewables sector, including M&A, project development, technology transfer, lending and commodities transactions related to renewables, conventional electricity, oil and gas, and midstream.
- Acted for a European fund manager structuring an investment in a Canadian biomethane producer
- Acted for a Canadian industrial power consumer in obtaining an Industrial System Designation from the Alberta Utilities Commission
- Advised a number of producers and marketers on Clean Fuel Regulations
- Led the team acting for Steelhaus Technologies in negotiating and documenting a syndicated loan facility
- Led the team acting for High Arctic Energy Services in the sale of assets to Precision Drilling
- Led the team acting for a Canadian downhole tool designer and manufacturer in the acquisition of several manufacturers
- Led the team acting for a British Columbia oil refinery in connection with an inventory buy-sell arrangement
- A member of the team acting for Tidewater Midstream in connection with the $150M initial public offering of Tidewater Renewables and the conversion of refinery assets to produce biodiesel, hydrogen and RNG
- Led the team acting for a Canadian battery storage developer in the purchase and sale of several development portfolios and related financings
- Led the team acting for a power generation developer commercialzing standalone generation solutions for standalone data centres and server farms
- Led the team acting for an EPC contractor installing solar generation in Alberta
- Led the team acting for Tidewater Midstream in connection with the sale of the Pioneer Pipeline
- Led the team acting for Ensign Energy Services in its purchase of all of the Canadian assets of Nabors Industries
- A member of the team acting for the purchaser of an interest in a 900 MW gas-fired generation facility in Alberta
- Led the team acting for Tidewater Midstream in connection with the disposition of its interest in a natural gas pipeline in Alberta
- Led the team acting for Canadian private investors in connection with the sale of an oil pipeline construction and testing business to Canadian private equity
- A member of the team acting for ONEX in connection with its purchase of WestJet
- Acted for a number of small businesses to implement tax-driven corporate restructurings
- Led the team acting for Tidewater Midstream in connection with the development and financing of a natural gas pipeline and a gas storage facility in Alberta
- Led the team acting for Tidewater Midstream in connection with the sale of a cogeneration facility in Alberta
- Led the team acting for a consortium of First Nations purchasing a 49% interest in a Suncor tank farm
- Led the Canadian team acting for the target in connection with the public markets purchase of Calpine Corporation
- Led the Canadian team acting for INPEX Corporation in connection with the sale of its Canadian oil sands business
- Led the team advising an international engineering firm on the regulatory and commercial requirements for developing an upgrader in Alberta
- Represented numerous small and mid size producers in the acquisition and sale of oil and gas leases
- Led the team acting for Predator Midstream in connection with the sale of its crude oil transloading business to Secure Energy Services Inc.
- Led the team acting for a consortium led by INPEX Corporation in connection with the purchase of a 40% interest in Nexen Corporation’s shale gas assets in northeastern British Columbia
- Led the team acting for Tokai Carbon in the acquisition of a carbon black facility and related waste heat recovery cogeneration unit in Medicine Hat, Alberta
- Led the team acting for a private equity fund in connection with the sale of the Island Cogeneration Facility in Campbell River, British Columbia
- A member of the team acting for a U.S. private equity fund in connection with the sale of the Calgary Energy Centre
- A member of the team acting for a US private equity fund in connection with the purchase of the Calpine Power Income Fund
- J.D., University of Manitoba, 1997
- B.Sc., (Honours in chemical engineering), Queen's University, 1989
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Law), 2023
- Legal 500 Canada (Energy - Oil and Gas), 2016-2017
- Guest Speaker, Queen’s University Global Energy Conference, January 2022
- Facilitator and Course Leader, “Joint Ventures”, Legal Education Society Alberta, Fall 2021
- Speaker, "Technology Transfer: Tips, Traps and Best Practices," CanGEA Technology Transfer Conference, June 23, 2016.
Prior to his legal career, Michael practised as a professional engineer working as an environmental and operations supervisor in the electricity industry and as an environmental engineer in petroleum refining.
- Director and Secretary, Lake Bonavista Homeowners Association
- Director and Secretary, Cochrane and Area Humane Society
- Instructed and facilitated a number of continuing education seminars, primarily related to oil and gas transactions and commercial contract drafting.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of Alberta
- Law Society of Manitoba
- Alberta Bar Association
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (non-practicing)
My latest insights
DLA Piper Canada advised Highwood Asset Management in key acquisitions for $139 million...
28 September 2023 .1 minute read
Alberta pauses approvals of new renewable electricity generation projects
8 August 2023 .2 minute read