Guillermo Aguayo provides tax advice in cross-border and domestic mergers, acquisitions and corporate reorganizations. He additionally advises on tax matters related to all types of financing transactions and securities offerings in addition to representing clients in tax audits, disputes and negotiations with authorities on tax, customs and foreign trade issues.
Advised railroad freight company with operations in Mexico on various matters, including the merger of its US parent with a Canadian railroad valued at US$31 billion, resulting in the creation of a single-line rail network linking the US, Mexico and Canada. Additionally advised on the structuring and negotiation of two joint ventures for the construction of a unit train liquid fuels terminal and for the construction and operation of a refined energy products fuel terminal
Advised an independent global infrastructure manager in its acquisition of a leading digital infrastructure provider in Mexico
Assisted North American energy infrastructure company in the sale of a 20-percent stake to an American global investment company for US$3.37 billion
Advised a US-based gold and copper producer with operations worldwide in its US$10 billion acquisition of a Canadian senior gold producer
Assisted the issuer on the IPO of the first energy and infrastructure investment trust focused on the electric sector in Mexico, in which US$880 million was raised
- Universidad de Monterrey School of Law, Law Degree, 2000, cum laude
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., 2003, Fulbright Scholar
- LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center
- Chambers & Partners, Leading Lawyer in Tax, 2016-2020
- A team led by Guillermo was ranked by The Legal 500 and International Tax Review in all editions during the period he held the position
- Full-Tuition Scholarship, Excellence Grant, Fundación Telmex, 1996
Before joining DLA Piper, Guillermo was a partner and head of the Mexico practice a global law firm. He also served as an associate at a major Mexican law firm and a multinational accounting firm.
Memberships And Affiliations
- International Tax Committee, Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Públicos