Recognised as a leading lawyer in technology and sourcing, Tim Lyons has experience in all areas of information and communications technology, including supply and outsourcing.
He has specific experience in delivering strategic advice on procurement legal services, focusing on large scale outsourcing transactions and complex upgrade and implementation projects. Clients know Tim as a safe pair of hands to manage their commercial and legal interests in these projects.
Tim also advises clients in respect of the collection, use and protection of their data. He has assisted clients in respect of their regulatory obligations when there has been an unauthorised disclosure of that data.
He frequently advises the Victorian Government and other purchasers of IT systems and products regarding issues specific to the information technology industry.
- Advising a water authority in respect of the procurement of a digital water metering solution, automating meter reading and billing processes for 75,000 houses.
- Advising a State Police Force on the outsourcing of all its IT Services for 500 personnel; and leading the negotiations in relation to the ITSC Project for the outsourcing of its end to end IT services to Kinetic IT, a USD160m contract signed in 2015.
- Advising a Victorian Water Authority in relation to the SCADA systems controlling water levels and water distribution for 6,000km of irrigation channels, one of the largest areas of irrigation in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Providing data protection advice in relation to data protection standards to a central government service provider providing services to more than 50,000 public sector employees.
- Advising a global “software as a service” provider on a significant Australian data breach incident, including compliance requirements under the mandatory breach notification requirements under the Australian Privacy Act.
- Conducting the Australian component of global privacy audit and use of a data lake holding millions of records of personal information for one of the largest media and advertising agencies globally.
- Master of Laws, University of Melbourne, 2000
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Monash University, 1993
- Bachelor of Science, Monash University, 1991
Tim has been recognised as a leading lawyer in technology, media and telecoms by Chambers Asia Pacific 2011 to 2018 and Legal500 Australia. He has also been included in The Best Lawyers™ in Australia 2012 to 2020 for Government Practice and Information Technology Law and in 2020 for Telecommunications Law.
Most recently, Tim has been ranked as a notable practitioner (Band 3) by Chambers Australia for TMT: Information Technology 2018. Referees value his 'deep knowledge of ICT outsourcing agreements between government service providers' and consider him 'highly skilled at negotiations and persuasive in achieving customer objectives.'
- Australian mandatory data breach notification regime, 22 Feb 2018
- 2017 budget impacts for innovation and technology, 10 May 2017
- ''Outsourcing: A Practical Guide", Globe Law and Business, September 2015
- TechLaw Australia 2017, 14 Nov 2017
- TechLaw Australia 2017, 22 Jun 2017
Memberships And Affiliations
- Victorian Society for Computers and the Law
- Law Institute of Victoria, Commercial Division