Joanne Owen has extensive experience within the real estate market both nationally and internationally dealing with complex cross-border real estate transactions.
Joanne acts for a range of institutional investors and regularly acts for private equity sponsors and asset managers working across the entire real estate sector. Joanne has particular experience leading multi-practice teams on transactions relating to hotels and leisure related, structured corporate platforms, student housing, co-living, residential PRS, logistics, retail and office schemes.
- Leading a pan European team of lawyers in advising a private equity client on the acquisition of a Central European logistics platform across eight countries for a value in excess of € 500 million.
- Leading a multi-disciplinary team on the re-financing of a Central London hotel portfolio in excess of £1 billion.
- Advising on the acquisition and subsequent disposal of an offshore property holding vehicle containing landmark buildings in the City of London.
- Leading a pan European team advising a client on the acquisition of a portfolio of seven hotels across Europe. The transaction was structured as a multi-layered corporate acquisition and involved extensive pre-closing restructuring of the target group. Deal value in excess of £900 million.
- Advising a private equity client on the creation of a student housing platform in Central London and its ultimate sale in a Luxembourg corporate structure.
- Advising a first time Asian asset manager on its first European purchase comprising a leisure scheme in England consisting of separate negotiations to address development, franchising and third party operational matters.
- Advising a European pension fund on the establishment of a serviced apartment European platform, including the co-invest documentation and acquisition documentation in England and Northern Europe.
- Leading a multi-disciplinary team advising a US PE sponsor on its acquisition of a Central London office HQ by way of corporate acquisition of a Dutch BV. The acquisition was also structured as a “1031” exchange for US tax purposes.
- Advising a European private equity client on the acquisition of a Central London mixed use development scheme.The transaction involved extensive pre-sale reorganisation steps, at a corporate level as well as a range of asset specific matters.
Jo is ranked both in Legal 500 and Chambers UK. Jo is also recognised by Legal 500 and is also noted for her extensive transactional track record in the hospitality sector.
Jo has spoken at numerous conferences including:
- The International Hotel Investment Forum Berlin: 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019
- The Alternative Hotel Event: 2016, 2018 and 2019
- Private Equity Europe: 2017, 2018 and 2019
Jo has also produced a podcast in conjunction with Estates Gazette